exmark lazer z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerKing10, Dec 14, 2006.

1. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow alot of wet tall thick tall fescue grass , are the lazer z any good?

2. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer Z 52". I've had it for three years. I leaves a beautiful cut and a ball park looking yard - as long as the grass is dry to damp. Don't get me wrong it will cut the high wet stuff, but it throws out clumps of grass that I have to mow over again sometimes three times before it looks right. If I had to buy another mower right now I'd most likely buy another one. I've read on this site that the new Exmark decks have solved this problem but I have no first hand experience with them.

I am sometimes dubious about how people on this site say their mower is the best thing ever. There must be a mower out there that handles the wet grass, but I don't know which one it is.

My theory is that manufacturers of mowers construct them under the premise that we as LCO's cut grass using the 1/3 rule - we always cut the grass at the exact moment that it is ready - not once a week when we're hacking off 3 to 4 inches.

If you find a zero turn mower that will handle the wet grass - and you can prove it with pictures or whatever - please let me know!

3. LawnMowerKing10

mdlawn man have you owned a toro z master if so is it as good as an exmark lazer z

4. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

No sir - I've never tried a Toro anything. Some on this site say the "Turbo" design deck works well.

5. LawnMowerKing10

so exmark is the only mower you have/tried ?

6. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

The Turbo Force is a half inch deeper then the Ultra Cut and is supposed to discharge better. I haven't had the chance to cut with a Toro but have seen them in action and was impressed with them. The Ultra Cut does good in Fescue and KBG as long as you are not cutting off more than 3.5" of the plant. If cutting off more then that a double cut is sometimes required. I have found that using a Gator blade on the discharge side does help clumping in wet cutting conditions.

7. Lahr & Sons Lawn Service

Lahr & Sons Lawn Service LawnSite Member

i'd look into the John Deere 7 Iron II deck on the ztraks

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The Everride deck does an amazing job on wet, tall grass.

9. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard great things about the 7Iorn II MoD decks. Do you run them? And how well do you like them?

10. Lahr & Sons Lawn Service

Lahr & Sons Lawn Service LawnSite Member

i've just demoed one a couple times and was really impressed. i am hoping to get one this spring. it was a 757 with the 60" MOD.