eXmark Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sooners, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a commercial ZTR mower this spring. I'm leaning towards an eXmark Lazer Z with a 60" cut. Does anyone have any experience with the 23hp Kohler? I don't want to spend an extra $1,000 for the 25hp if it's not necessary. Also, has anyone used both eXmark and other brands? And does anyone have a good solution for cutting bahiagrass in one pass?

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am an eXmark fan-

I have used them for the past 2 years. I use high lift blades - and as long as they are sharp, bahai (sp) gets cut in 1 pass. I would not recommend using baffles under the deck if that is primarily what you're cutting.

Some on this sight use double blades, I have never tried them.

As far as horsepower, there will by a wide variety of opinions here on that. My neighbor has worked on commercial equipment for years and swears that we are all trained to pursue too much HP. He says most of Z's that have come out in the past few yrs have about 5 hp more than they really need.

So I'd save that 1k, if it were me

3. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Thanks Guardian for the info. What do you mean by double blades? Are you stacking them one on top of the other? If so, is this unsafe? I'm not sure what the spindles are like. Also, since there is no hood over the engines on the Lazer Z is it too loud or too hot on your back?

4. SOONERS

First of all welcome the the forum
    With doubles you put them in a cross direction

5. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

Ive got A 48"Lazer hp w/21hp kaw. also ezmark 52"w/b &
    48"turf tracer w/b love all 3 of these machines they cut great
    and make very defined lines.

As far as double blades I questioned the dealer about doing
    this and they looked at me like I was crazy. He told me it would
    cause damage to the spindles and posible the engine. Also void
    any warranty and A Big Safety Issue. This has convinced me Im
    not even attempting Double Blades.

STEVE

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that Exmark voids your warranty if you use double blades. Even if you do have to get waranty service on the spindle you don't have to tell them that you were using doubles do you? There is an Exmark Forum here at Lawnsite that is staffed by Exmark personel so you can ask them.

As far as the horsepower requirements go I feel the more the better. I know that is in contrast to what Guardian's friend says. Back when mowers didn't travel as fast as they do now you could get away with less horsepower but today's LCOs require a cleaner, faster, better looking cut.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lazer,i highly recommend.ive got the 20 commandw 52 and
    its all the power needed for that unit.the 25 had a bad rep at
    one time ,but mabe fine now.id make sure a unit was not one with the problem engines.do a search on that.
    in any case id rather be over than underpowered. under limits u some where as over allows u to put less stress on the motor in tough siituations. good luck and later.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I was told by a very informed person that the 25 actually dyno's at 21 hp.

The 23 might have more power, I don't know.

Can't wait for the 30 hp that Chopper's going to be offering.

9. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

30 hp???????? Fill me in Homer Homey

Mike:blob4:

10. Rich54

Rich54 LawnSite Member

Talked to a dealer today about a 48" Z HP, said 17hp Kaw. was more than enough power!!?? Think'n bout getting one! Also, they never heard about "double blading"? Told them about "lawnsite" maybe they'll tune in!! Ther opinion was that with 18000+ blade speed, it wasn't needed!!??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.