Exmark LazerHP w/ 19 Kaw won't start -HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by amrupp, Jul 12, 2005.

1. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

I've been running my Exmark HP with 19 Kaw for three years without problem. All of a sudden, it won't start. I can spray carb cleaner in the carb and she'll run until I stop spraying. So far, I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition switch, float and pin. I've pulled and cleaned the carb, replaced all gaskets, everything looks good. But the stinkin thing still won't fire up.

I'm a small operator who mows neighborhood lawns only, so I don't have a trailer to transport to the dealer, which is over an hour away anyway. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Does fuel run out of the float bowl if you loosen the bowl nut ? Does this engine have the fuel shut-off solenoid on the carb.,Some models do and with out model & spec. numbers I don't know. If not I would recheck the main jet for being clogged,If not it could possibly be weak spark, Carb. cleaner has a much higher burn rate than fuel !
    Just a couple thoughts.
  3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob does the fuel pump run off voltage? I'm wondering if this could be a low voltage issue.

AM is gas getting to the carb?
  4. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

Thanks for the help so far. Since it the engine would fire with carb cleaner being sprayed in, I figured the plugs were OK. Now that you mention the burn rate, I'll go ahead and replace them too.

Fuel does not run out of the bowl when loosened. There isn't a single bowl nut like most bowls have. The bowl assembly is held up with 4 screws, but when disassembling the unit I didn't have gas dribbling out when I took the unit off. This model does have a fuel solenoid, and I'm now suspecting that might be bad. I have the service manual that shows a test you can put in on to determine if it's any good. I'll check that tonight.

As for the fuel pump, I understand it works on a diaphram, but I'm not sure about low voltage.

When I disconnected the fuel line just before the carb, gas came out but didn't exactly gush out.

The Kaw model is FH601V AS06, if that helps. Thanks again for your help!
  5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

If it has a fuel shut off solenoid, i would suspect that to be the issue. if it will start with carb cleaner shot down in the carb, then chances are that you have just some form of a fueling issue.
    check that fuel solenoid if it has that.
  6. Restrorob

The fuel pump has a diaphragm inside which operates on engine vacuum there for no voltage is required. The fuel didn't gush out because they call this a impulse fuel pump and if you weren't spinning the engine over while the line was off all it will do is dribble a little from a gravity feed situation.
    As for the shut-off solenoid do your test and hopefully you will find it working properly because MSRP is $95.00 and in case you need it the part # is 21188-7001, I know what I'd do if it was bad on mine. lol
    If it test good check to see that you are getting voltage to it and a good ground, And the model numbers were of help so I could see exactly what you were up against !
    BTW; Are you sure you got the fuel lines back on the new pump properly ?
    Jus had to ask I've seen it in the past.
  7. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

RestroRob - Well, I did the soleniod test and sure enough that little plunger didn't move, so the thing isn't letting gas into the carb. There goes $90. I rechecked all the fuel lines and everything is right. Oh well, I haven't had a single problem with this engine for three years, I guess this isn't so bad if it goes another three without problem.

Thanks for your help and advice - it's much appreciated.
  8. Restrorob

Any time :)