Exmark LazerZ HP Questions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dlove, Mar 7, 2004.

1. dlove

dlove LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have 1 acre of grass to cut, and am considering the LazerZ HP with 48" deck. I know this is overkill for the 1 acre, but I want to cut it fast and want something that will last me a LONG time.

Can I easily pull a spreader and core aerator (with 150 lbs weight) with it?

If I'm going to replace a lawn tractor with a ZTR, I need to be able to do the other home-owner stuff as well. I have a utility 4-wheeler to pull a cart for firewood, etc.

Thanks,

-Donnie

2. wireman36

wireman36 LawnSite Member

I believe Terry from the Exmark forum said the Z's are good for
    pulling about 80 pounds. He reminded me that they are high
    performance grass cutting machines not tractors. Use your 4-wheeler to pull the equipment, lot of power and torque there.

3. dlove

dlove LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to pull my "tow behinds" this week to see how the 4 wheeler does. Turns dig up the yard a little. This works out well with the aerator, as I'm going to seed anyway. I think the Exmark would do fine with the spreader and 1 bag of fertilizer.

-Donnie

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it will pull it with no problem. I pull something way heavier than that. What Terry didn't say is the 80 lbs is draw bar weight. You will not have 80 lbs of draw bar weight on the mower with what you have listed.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

65Hoss, What model(s) Exmark have you towed an aerator with? How heavy are you weighting the aerator down? and how many hours have you logged towing roughly? Have you replaced any pumps?

I am thinking about purchasing an Exmark, but Terry said he wouldn't recommend pulling a 200 pound aerator. He claims that the 80lb draw weight would be like dragging a 80lb bag of sand. I'm not sure what kind of resistance my aerator with tines penetrating 3" of soil is causing. I have used it with my Dixie Chopper, but I sold that. I currently use it with my Hustler, but I have only did about 15 lawns with it this year.

Thank You,
    Soupy

6. vettenuts

vettenuts LawnSite Member

I just bought a Simplicity ZTR to replace my tractor/mower setup. I ended up keeping the tractor for other chores around the house and will save the ZTR strictly for mowing, especially since the tractor still runs like a dream.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, that mower would not be overkill. I recently bought a Lazer HP 44" for both home and business use.

My backyard area is 1.5 acres and is cut in less than 1 hour. I'm very happy with it.