1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark lazerZ or HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llfarm, Oct 15, 2000.

1. llfarm

llfarm LawnSite Member

I've got an opportunity to purchase a new Exmark (any model) at a good price for maintaining our farm Bed and Breakfast. We've been using an older JD216 with 48" deck which has been nothing but trouble. I was very impressed with trying the full size LazerZ with 60" deck. But the slopes I was able to try it on were not quite as steep as on our property (5 acres of lawn, pasture, and trails). It felt extremely stable on the slopes I did try it on. I'm just wondering if the HP having a narrower wheelbase will do as well on the slopes. Is there a significant difference in performance between the two other than the smaller 52" deck? And will both do well with the uneven ground in our llama pastures?

I appreciate any advice. We're quite a ways out in the country and a long way from dealers of this type equipment (other than John Deere of course).

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to LawnSite.com. The wider the wheel base the more stable they are on hills. What part of the USA are you in. Please fill in your profile and at least put in what State your in or what part of the state will help too. This is very helpful in giving answers to questions in a lot of different situations.
  3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm very interested in knowing where to purchase an Exmark for a very good price - please let us know where. Moving from a big JD [72"] to a Z-turn. Looking at Toro, Ex, Scag and JD M-series [my 2 nearest dealers havent seen one yet], so if they are comparable price will be a big factor [along with dealer quality] Eric, I'd still love to try the DC but no dealer within 4 hours.
  4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Lazer with 60" deck. It will cut just about any hill your nerves can handle. I have not used an hp on slopes, but as Eric said the wider the stance the better slope holding.
  5. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a HP. It can hold hills!! I live in Western PA. Hills every where and some steep ones too. I'll go on any of them, no fear on my HP. I like the smaller deck too and the HP is faster than the bigger models.
  6. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Mr. Ziffel,

If you're willing to drive a bit, my dealer has very good prices on Exmark equipment. This spring I bought a '99 Lazer Z 52" with 18 hp kohler for $5,800. This is the full size Lazer not a hp. It had 12 hours on it. He also carries Toro, Grasshopper, and Bobcat. At the time I bought my Lazer he also had a Z-master demo with low hours for about the same price.

The dealer is The Saw Clinic, and he's located in Spokane, which I know would be a bit of a drive for you. But he does have good prices.
  7. llfarm

llfarm LawnSite Member

Thanks, Eric, I did update my profile. I live in Southwestern WI which is the unglaciated region of Wisconsin. Our trails are walking trails that take some steep hills. I've been able to use the JD only going down them and not on the sections that tip the tractor sideways. I've resorted to a brushcutter but it would be great to be able to cut them with a mower - less stress on the back.

As far as the good price, it's a favor from a friend so I can't pass that on. Sorry. But it sounds like Jason's lead is a good one and may even beat my "deal":-(.

I appreciate the great responses.