Exmark Liquidcooled Overheating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MiksLawncare, Jan 28, 2008.

1. MiksLawncare

MiksLawncare LawnSite Member

Hey there i was wondering if anyone would know what the problem would be. I bought a 60 inch zero turn exmark last year and the temperature gauge keeps reading in the red about a minute after i start it. I replaced the thermostat and put new coolant in it. It seemed like it worked for the first day then it started hitting in the red again. I dont know what the problem is i was thinking that it may be the sending unit or the sensor. I am new to working on these things and i was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice on what it may be or if it has ever happened to you. As far as general maintence what else should i do to make sure this mower runs mechanically good besides greasing, checking blades, changing the oil and hydro fluid? Any help would be greatly appriciated before this mowing season

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

make sure the air filter is nice and clean. Try running synthetic fluids if you aren't already. Those will only help it, not cure it.

Sounds like it could be a sensor. Could also be the gauge itself....

3. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

My liquid cooled toro will jump to the red before first exchange of liquid, I was told that it was the sensor. Keep an eye on your overflow tank if you notice fluid loss you may have more than a sensor or guage.

4. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have a desiel motor on mine and it used to do that. I had to replace the two pumps that pump the fluid to and from the radiator. One is right under the radiator, which runs the fan. The other was down on the rear of the engine, ran by the belt.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Your electric fan is running, right?

If it's not that, your water pump may be the culprit.

Your saying after 60 seconds, its reading red? After it being cool overnight? If it really is going to red THAT quick, then I'd seriously consider a new sending unit. If it's slowly showing red after a few minutes, then I'd look into the water pump or electric fan.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you did put the thermostat in the correct way right? is it steaming/overheating? make sure the belt is not broken that drives the waterpump, make sure it's not loose causing it to slip and not turn the pump properly.

check all the other things everyone has mentioned. also make sure the radiator screen and the cooling fins on the radiator are clear of debris. no airflow=no cooling effect. Also check the radiator cap. All of this will cause overheating, but it shouldn't be heating up that fast. it takes my kubota on my walker a good three minutes to come up to temp (around 170)

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mike,

There is no belt on the LC Kawi's.

I'm not positive, but I believe it's not possible to install the stat upside down.

I'm really thinking it's the sending unit if it's really showing hot THAT quick.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

could there be an air bubble trapped in the system?

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While that could be a problem, the design of the eXmark cooling system lends itself to a pretty good self purging system (radiator being totally above the engine).

Plus, he was saying he had this problem prior to replacing t-stat.

10. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

That's the same engine I have, but I don't have a temp guage. I would just take it in if it's under warranty.