exmark lovers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jim Feder, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

I run scag and like them. Have had two exmarks and were happy with them but bought new mowers and it was not about brand but dealer. Went to auction today it had a 2000 exmark lazer ztr 48" 21 hp kaw 216 hrs. way out side of town and thought that I might get a deal. There were 2 to 6 lawn care crews there looking at it so said these guys are pros they all know what the mower is worth. The mower sold for 7100.00. The guy that bought it said he was new to the bus only in it for two years or so and was going to go bid big commercial props now. man does this sucker have a lot to learn. You can have 100 cust and make good money or have 50 good cust and make the same. Can any one tell me why he and all the other lawn guys were willing to pay so much? I got a new scag cub 48" 21 kaw for 5200.00 :D
  2. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Jim the buyer really took a beating on this one guess he didn't know his prices very well, one more grand he could have bought a new exmark 60" 25hp.......? Marks Mowing Service
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I guess it is true, a sucker IS born every day.
  4. maurader

maurader LawnSite Member

I know what you're talking about Jim. I went to a couple of auctions earlier this year and experienced the same thing. These were away from the city also and I assumed that the mowers would go for less than they did. At one, they had 3 Lazer Z's. All 2001 25/60's with 250hrs or less. The first one went for 6100 and the last went for 7100 or so. The second was in between the others. I could just imagine if there was a fourth one what it would have sold for. Granted, 6100 was a decent price but if I'm going to an auction I expect to get a great deal. You still have to pay the sales tax plus a 2% buyers commission. For 7100 I would rather buy new and get a warranty. A 48 incher for that price is just plain crazy.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mabe u guys have better luck at auctions than i... its definitly the way to sell known values,if u got monied buyers there.
    the only way id go to buy ,,is if,, for some reason,, i know the value of an item and others dont...exception personal sentimental value.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That's absolutely ridiculous for that size mower. I can buy a Ferris 1000 ZTR (23 kawi, 61" deck) for $6100...BRAND NEW! Those guys need their heads examined IMO.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

We Are Talking Exmark!
  8. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

After used both Scag And Exmark i can see paying a lot more of Exmark.
  9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Good deals are hard to find at auctions. You not only have people bidding that knows what the equipment is worth, you also have people bidding who have not got a clue as to what it is worth. Sometimes folks get caught up in the "auction fever" and don't know when to stop bidding.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry John, but a 3 year old mower (even with only 200 hours on it), 48" (small IMO) going for 7100 clams is nuts. I don't care what the make is. For that kind of bread, it should have come with an operator (free) for 1 year.