Exmark LZ HP - shuts down when parking brake disengaged

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ohuett, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Lazer HP (Model LHP4821KA, S/N 279100) that shuts down as soon as I disengage the parking brake. I replaced the parking brake sensor b/c in my logical brain that was the first thing to try...but it didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions on what to try next or how to troubleshoot the problem? Thanks.

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

.... -_- wth.. maybe try looking at the starter relay switch? there is a kill switch connected to the ignition so that you can only start it when the parking break is on. does it shut off like you turned the key and shut it off or does it bog down and kill itself?

3. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

seat switch

4. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

Where is the seat switch located? And is there any way to test it to know that it's bad or is it cheap enough to just replace it and see if it fixes the problem?

5. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Where are your controls when it shuts off? My Bobcat will do the same thing, if the control arms are in the folded position (folded in).

Just a thought.

6. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

My controls are all the way out...if I move them in while the parking brake is on or off, it will kill the engine.

Can someone tell me where the seat switch is located?

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Under the seat
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

There is also a sensor for the arms. So if the brake OS on you pull them in it shuts off. You can jump either of there with a short wire to each one. That way you can eliminate each one and find out which one it is. It may be neither. You could have a pinched wire. Also make sure your seat is all the way down. I have had that happen when I has a couple hps
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. j-fuhrm

j-fuhrm LawnSite Member

I had the exact same problem with a Ferris last month. Turned out to be a fuse. Check them first. Use a meter to check it not your eyes. I would also contact X mark tech support. My Ferris guy walked me thru it in about 10 minutes

10. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

I've seen in a couple other posts that people check the seat sensor. I guess I'll check that next. Obviously it's under the seat but can anyone tell me exactly where? (I'm a computer geek...not a mechanic...so I appreciate the help)