Exmark LZ ~ what causes this?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CraigF, Sep 15, 2010.

1. CraigF

CraigF LawnSite Member
    from CT

2009 Lazer Z 60" ZTurn, less than 300 hours, light commercial use-this is the second one. Axle from drive motor. No curbs.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. FireFighterHill

FireFighterHill LawnSite Member

Manufacturer defect. It could have had a micro crack or fracture. My bet would be that heat cycles from normal use caused the defect to show it self.

3. CraigF

CraigF LawnSite Member
    from CT

The right side axle went at 175 hours. New pump and drive motor installed by dealer, covered under warranty. Now the left side has done the same thing, about 100 hours later. They said they normally don't even cover 1 of these repairs; they call it abuse. I'm the only driver and my last machine was 13 years old and never had anything like this. So I don't think I'm abusing it-I'm just mowing. But needless to say, they don't want to cover this latest one...

4. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Those are heavy machines, If you ever skid on the pavement this is likly to happen. I have guys that go through those axles like crazy and other guys that never have a problem. So if you went through 2 I would say abuse.
    It also could be possible that it happened before you bought it. Last year I was driving by the local Toro dealer and saw them popping wheelies with a brand new Toro 60inch ztr.

5. mowerknower

Also, Have your dealer call exmark and see about getting a used shaft. Harold in the warranty department saves the shafts out of warranty returned wheel motors. They are perfectly good still. Just go one a couple weeks ago.

6. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Going over bumpy lawns at full speed?

7. CraigF

CraigF LawnSite Member
    from CT

All lawns around here are bumpy. Certainly at times I've gone fast on that type of lawn. Again, same as with my last machine which ran great for 13 years. I hate to think that constitutes abuse..

8. mowerknower

Yes but your old mower was slower and lighter. Speed+Wieght+Running to the max=bad things

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Are you the only one that has driven this mower? A manufacturer would tell you someone is backing this mower down on pavement, then slamming forward attempting to pull the front wheels.

10. CraigF

CraigF LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm 100% sure that has never happened. I'm the only driver.

The manufacturer did say that it looks like it was being turned very quickly on hills, or curb hopped. Neither of those are true. Then they said the bagger and weight kit probably contributed-it is their bag and weight kit though...so now they say I have to "baby it"..