exmark melting fuses

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rick2752, May 4, 2005.

1. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

60" Laser Z melting the blade engage fuse. I had problems for a while and then it quit blowing. I kicked off the blades to cross a driveway and then tried to kick them back on. When I checked the fuse it had melted the leg on one side of the fuse. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Rick

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Check your PTO switch and the harness that plugs in behind it. They get real dirty. Then trace the wires back to the clutch itself. Make sure they aren't crushed somewhere. If everything checks out OK, maybe it's the clutch?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and be carefull, make sure you wear steel toe boots if your kicking your blades on and off.

4. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Lol, Ill try to remember the boots. Clutch seems to engage O.K. It does hesitate or anything, just frys the fuse. I bought a new engage switch(cheapest place to start) and a new fuse holder. Should it have blown if I engaged again while clutch was still spinning?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You have a dead short somewhere. I'd bet a wire was crushed or worn through somewhere. Try testing with a continuity tester/meter.

Switch is a good start, like you said....cheap. Make sure the wire connection on the back is good and clean.

How old/hrs is the Lazer?

6. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

I believe it is a 99 model. It has just under 1500 hrs. No idea if clutch has ever been replaced.

7. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

i had a similar problem with my 52" walk behind. it kept melting the fuse for the fuel solenoid. it would take about 100 hours be for it would quit, then one day it started blowing the fuses after about 1 minute. i replaced the fuse holder and no more problems.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is a continuity test you can do on the clutch,Unplug the harness closest to the clutch and put your meter leads on each blade in the plug on the clutch,You should have continuity,Then take one lead off the clutch and touch it to any frame ground you should have no continuity If the results are not as I explained the clutch is shorted and needs replaced.
    Now if the clutch checks good,Trace your harness back to the switch as already mentioned above.
    If all of this checks fine there is one other thing that could possibly cause this problem,But I would need a description of your PTO clutch to explain.

14yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Serivce Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

9. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyones help. I bought a new fuse holder and new pto switch and I am putting them in tomorrow. If this doesnt fix things I will check the clutch and get back with you guys. Again, Thanks for all your help. I will let you know one way or another.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I had one on Toro a week or so back that was doing this. First, if you a "dead" short the fuse will blow the instant you hit the PTO switch. What you have is a "slow cook" or overload. Try this, get a fuse holder with a few feet of wire on it. With the motor OFF unplug the clutch plug. Take the battery loose for the mower( Both wires) Now running the wires though the fuse run the wires straight to the clutch. Use the same fuse you alway use for the one that keeps blowing. And just let it sit there. It may run the battery down doing this test. Now if after a while if the fuse has not cooked off and blow then the problem is some where else. I did this test on the Toro that kept blow fuses for no reason and after 20 minutes the fuse blow. The clutch still worked but was going bad and would slowly cook the fuse. I replace the clutch and it has been working just fine ever since. Remember it is a lot easier to find a problem in an electric system when you isolate the problem areas and test them by them self. Try to test an electrical system as a whole can cause more problems than it will solve.