exmark metro 21" or metro 26"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nickslawn, Dec 8, 2006.

1. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

Its me again, I have been looking at exmarks metro 21's and 26" mowers. Which would be the best buy for the money. I know someone posted on my last post that if I was 26 I should have good credit, but thats not so true after a divorce last year. I should be able to buy one of the mowers above. The largest yard I will have will be 23,000, all other yards will be around 18,000. I will have around 20-25 accounts. Yeah I know thats alot of walking but I have got to start some where and having a low over head this next year will be a big plus. I can't park a trailer in the area I live in. My storage building is a 9x9. All comments and suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks is Advanced. :usflag:

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

For a tried and true unit, go with the Metro 21. If you're the type that loves seeking adventure, go with the Metro 26 in it's second (but may as well be the first again) year.

3. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

have you considered a quick 36? I have noticed the size other than the width of the deck isnt much longer or wider than a 21 incher. I looked at the metro 26 seems a bit unwieldy and have noticed here not many seem to rate them high. The lower price quick is about the same as the metro26. Around here lots of smaller guy services use the troybilt widecut33" as i used to. small engine/ not greatest cut/ and lots of beltand spindle repairs on those has been my experience among others. oh and if i would have used that briggs9hp flat valve this summer i can figure gas bill would have been very high

4. nickslawn

thanks for your replys.

5. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I would look for a used 36 TTHP with ecs if I was in your boat, just me .02

best of luck, littlenic

6. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

If you've got the money, I'd definantly take a look at a used 36 or a Quick 36. From all of the rave reviews I've heard the about Q36 it sounds like it'd pay off itself in a hurry.Good luck with whatever purchase you make.

7. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I'd recommend you go with the Metro 21", Its a tried and true unit. As you get bigger, it gets hard to handle without brakes and steering. Also, for me, 6/6.5hp is barely enought for 21", and not nearly enough for 26".
    If you want to go any larger, consider a mid-sized unit, (gear drive with brakes or hydro drive), generally 11-17hp.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Don't get the 26". Do a search, they are terrible. If you have to operate out of the bed of your truck, you could get a proper(permenant) steel ramp for your truck, and try to get a used 36". I work in old neighborhoods where parking is very tight. Some props a trailer is out of the question. I used ramps last year until I almost had a bad accident one day, now I do not recommend them, however, a permenant(or semi permenant) heavy duty folding ramp can be obtained for around $800, and they are safe to use. I can fit a 44' wb and a 21" in the back of the truck and it works great for those tight parking areas. Just something to think about when you start making money. If you have to use only a 21" starting out that's fine, but make sure you use ramps (safe, for a 21", but nothing bigger) because no matter how fit you are, lifting a commercial 21" in and out of a truck bed will take it's toll on your back. I know this firsthand....

9. nickslawn

10. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Ok, here is the deal on the 26" Snapper. Last summer I was wondering about this mower as well. I went to a dealer, checked it out, thought it looked well built, but I was still skeptical so I posted the same question here on Lawnsite. A few people said they were ok, but to buy another commercial mower instead, and a few people told me flat out not to buy it. I should have taken their advice! I Thought I would give it a go when I found one (almost brand new, I might add) for only $500. I bought it, took it out and used it on one lawn and knew I had made a big mistake. It is hard to maneuver, the blade brake clutch engages poorly, the acceleration lever is a killer on your hand, the front castor wheels are worthless on anything but a completely flat surface, it is also heavy and very underpowered (it would not even pull itself up a hill). After the second lawn the drivebelt came off the pulley while I was pushing it up a hill. After I reattatched the belt I drove directly back to my storage unit to park it and get my 21" Toro proline to finish the day. The Proline will kick the Snapper's Azz for the same price and last 10 times longer at least. The Snapper would be fine if your yard was flat and you used it once a week. Commercial use: no way.