Exmark Metro 26" Lack of Power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, May 10, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I alos posted this in the Exmark forum but for some reason it did not show up.

I purchased the Exmark Metro 26" a few weeks ago and I would like to comment on the power output...6HP is not enough and this mower is struggling to cut the lawns I have to cut. I was wondering if a Kawasaki made an 8HP engine that would mount to the Metro 26" deck. I feel that the added power would outway the extra bit of weight. My problems with power are not over the entire lawn, its usually in the spots where the lawn grows at a different rate and the grass is taller. I so much want this mower to work for me...I like everything about it except the power and the difficulty of switching gears...the gear lever is tough on my hand. I cut my own lawn and 4 other lawns and I have noticed the power to be lacking in nearly all of my lawns and the lawns have not even reached their peak growing stages yet (Have not greened up 100%).

All in all I think the Metro 26" fills a spot in the market for someone like me who has a few lawns to cut and wants walk behind looks without the cost of another type of walk behind mower, or the aggravation of changing deck heights from lawn to lawn...most of the lawns I cut are bermuda and fescue which have a very different mowing height (1.5 for bermuda and 3.5 for fescue.

I have looked at your other Exmark walk behinds and though I like them, I cannot justify the expense of a floating deck hydro or even a fixed deck for the amount of lawns I cut.

I will hate to have to return this mower to my place of purchase, but I am afraid that if I do not come up with a solution for increasing the power I will have to give this mower back.

Please help me resolve power issues...and I am not the only one who is complaining...other than some of the first 26" ers coming out with cables that broke...everyone is complaining that power is too low.

Chris Jones

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark has their forum set up so that the moderator has to "approve" of posts before they show up on the forum, before we can read them. Keep watch over their forum, your post probably will pop up once their moderator comes online and sees it. Sounds to me like a an issue they would respond to here.

I noticed that Exmark rates the Metro 26 at a 17,500 FPM blade tip speed, while the Metro 21 has an 18,500 FPM blade tip speed. Both use the same engines - Kaw FJ180V 6HP. Since the 26 has a bigger and heavier blade and also driving the blade through a spindle as opposed to a direct drive like the 21, could this explain the lack of power you are experiencing? Not to mention, the Metro 26 is physically bigger overall and heavier than the 21. I haven't read anything else about the Metro 26 with this issue.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the difference in weight and rotational mass of the blade and pulleys vs a 21...but this thing should cut better than it does...if it takes a larger engine to get it to cut...then one should be provided.