1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Metro 26 mulch kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, May 10, 2006.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for feed back on how the mulch kit works on the 26 metro, Good or bad. I ordered mine yesterday.
  2. sheepherder

sheepherder LawnSite Member

you wasted your money. the metro 26 is not a mulcher. Ex-mark claims it is and they are dead wrong. I had purchased the metro with a mulching kit and ended up taking the whole thing back for return and got the 33 inch Billy Goat. The metro 26, when used as a mulcher, leaves a strip of grass on the left wheel. Your lawn looks bad with this grass left every 5ft. width. Then when the grass dies on top of your lawn, it really looks bad. Sorry to inform you of this bad news. You can blame the folks at Ex-Mark for false advertising.
  3. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Yes I am in the same boat but they are dragging their feet to take it back. Whole unit is crap!
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It works well if your mulching air....get a Toro 21 recycler
  5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

There was an error in the spring program that it was advertised as a mulcher/bagger, but unless you bought the mulching kit, it wasn't set to mulch. That has been fixed.

As far as how well they mulch, Commercial Cutters just don't mulch up here in the North East so I can't attest to that. But on the bagging end, the guys are loving these units. It's a shame they had so many issues with the first production. We were lucky enough to not recieve any until this year, where they have already been updated with all the resdisigns at the assembly level.

A 26 inch rotary with a blade tip speed of 18k fpm :clapping:
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My doubts came up from the start when I saw a 26" mower with only 6hp. I love Kawasaki's but that seems silly.
  7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't have to do much with hp, as it does pulley and belt drive rations. Remember, this machine is only 26 inches and is spindle driven. The blade is not bolted to the shaft like on a 21"

How soon everyone forgets we used to ride around on 6hp powered rider mowers!!!!!

What I love is these 42" yard tractors with 25 hp engine. Don't cut any better then the 10hp engines they used 10 years ago!!!!