1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark metro 26?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve in Pa., Mar 17, 2005.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone got to see the new 26" metro from exmark in person yet. Went to local dealer and he just looked at me like I was crazy??? :dizzy: He didn't even hear about them yet, but he is checking. Called a dealer about 30 miles away and low and behold he has heard of them but no price or specs. I was just curious has anybody ordered any, if so do they look well built and what kind of pricing are you getting?
  2. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

I talked to Bob Rose at Lepco today.They have a 6hp kawi on it but I forgot to ask
    him how much it weighed.I am interested in it!
  3. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

The cost on that is $1200 and some changes, it's probably going to weight around 80 lbs. plus or minus.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

It's Going to Weigh a Hell of a Lot More than 80 lbs...The Metro 21"/Kaw/BBC Weighs 120 lbs...This Beast Will Run up Near 150 lbs or More...Big Problem if you Need to Lift it or Use it in Tight areas w/Lots of Turning....

They Arrive Mid April Here.
  5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

yes i did see on exmark's website that its going to weigh in at a whopping 158lbs. The 6 hp seems a little weak for this beast, considering there is 6's on the toro's 21" s. Thats what I thought they would be around the 1200.00 - 1500.00 range. Don't know if it going to be worth the money or not?
  6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

just received some literature from Exmark on this new 26". As was argued in another lengthy thread, I have a hard time believing that 6hp is enough engine given the fact that my Hondas have a 5.5 and are helpless in spring and bog down. I would buy this mower in a hearbeat as the price is right and 5" of cutting would be a big time saver...perhaps we'll get some posts here this spring from someone who has used it. SPecs/charts/torque are all nice facts but I want to hear from someone who runs it on a Chemlawn lawn and see how it does in the real world of too much N and too much H20
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Or getting them back up the stairs! :rolleyes:
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll admit to being intrigued by the 26" deck, but wonder if it's not too much of a "tweener" to be of real practical value.

At the lower end of the range, we have mowers with 21" decks. Why? Probably just because someone came up with that width and it stuck. It could be 18", one supposes, but 21 it is. Still, a 21 will handle some of the little corners and those steep but short slopes that a belt-drive 36 just won't hold. However, a 21 is not crucial to getting into most back yards, although exceptions do exist.

The 36" deck is typically a belt drive, mostly because most of us don't use this kind of mower enough to justify springing for hydro drives. These mowers get through the vast majority of gates, although a few are problematic. Hence the 21.

Where does the 26 fit into the picture? I'm not sure it does, frankly. Some of the criticisms of a 26 with only six ponies to drive it might be on target: I really don't know. I do know that I won't buy a 21, a 26 and a 36. When my eXmark Metro 36 (Kawasaki 12.5) keels over, I'll probably replace it with an identical unit rather than with a 26.

I wonder if eXmark did a lot of market research before going into this. If so, maybe I'm just dead wrong about this, but it would be interesting to hear what prompted them to go into this in the first place.
  10. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

Seems to me they should have used it (marketed) towards homeowners. Through a 8hp engine on it and sell it for $850 to $950 and all the sudden I'm interested. Cuts more than a 21" and when replacing a 21" this mower would be a viable option. But I agree with you, why spend $1300 on a 26" when you can buy 32" or 36" around that price or for a little more. Seems Exmark may have a good mower, but who in there right mind would spend $1300 on a 6 hp Kawasaki bolted to a heavy 26" deck?? It seems way underpowered even for homeowner use to me.

Snapper sells a 28" rider with 12hp engine for only $999, seems to me this Exmark 26" is way over priced and under powered. BTW, my Snapper dealer also sells Exmark....I'll bet his Snapper sales go up just by having this Exmark on the floor!!!!