Exmark Metro 32 in./12.5 HP , comments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarkSk1, Mar 30, 2003.

1. MarkSk1

MarkSk1 LawnSite Member

Any comments about the Exmark Metro 32 in./12.5 HP Kawasaki for a good startup mower? Also what realistically size lot in acres could you cut with this in a reasonable amount of time. And is putting a sulky on this a good idea. Thanks

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

This was my first commercial machine, and it has really held up well, I beat the hell out of it. I have a jungle jim's sulkey on it, and it has held up well under the additional weight. I have had 0 problems with it. I am not sure of productivity, let me respond when I have more time to think. On second reading of your post, mine is a 36, so that won't help you too much.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Should get about 1 acre an hour with a sulky in 4th gear...I imagine alot of times you could run 5th gear but not if there are alot of turns or thicker grass so say 1 acre/hr average. That accounts for normal mowing condition effeciency (normal turns and obstacles). If you can run 5th gear wide open no obstacles minimal turns then 1.3 acre/hr. If you have to walk you'll do about half of those numbers maybe?

4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

great unit the engine acts funny sometimes but all and all it works great very strong.i use it on all my smaller lawns or lawns that have gates that are only 33 inches wide

5. lawnman20

lawnman20 LawnSite Member

good machine bounces to much with a sulkey on it though i run all exmark riders . walk behinds have had great luck with all Gm

6. mike9497

also the 32 metro is a special order model.i had to wait 2 months to get it because there wasn't a dealer in the US that stocked them

7. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I use the 36" metro 12.5 and I love it. it was my first comercial machine, I have only found one fence it wouldnt fit thru. I would reccomend one!

8. grasskeeper

grasskeeper LawnSite Member

The 32" is a great mower. I have two of them and couldn't be happier. 12.5 kawi is more than enough power. Just make sure you keep the air filter clean. It gets dirty very quickly. Good luck.

9. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I started last year, first year out and picked up a 32" Metro, 12.5 kawi as well. Worked flawlessly for the entire year, I have pistol grips, not the ECS controls. I side-discharged for the first couple of months thru Memorial Day weekend. Then I changed over to the Exmark Mulching Kit and didn't bag a single thing the entire rest of the year. Just mowed and mowed. Of course we had the drought which was a severe condition here in NJ, but even in the fall, it did flawless.

I picked up a pair of Gator blades for it and put them on with the mulch kit. Caused way too much blow-back from under the deck.

I'm going to work on the mower this Friday, take off the mulching kit and put just the gators on to side-discharge with as we get going for this year.. I want to see if side-discharge gators work as well or better then the exmark standard blade during the spring time.

But once things dry out, say like in June, (after Memorial Day), it's right back to the mulching kit for me.

For around $2100 NEW, you can't go wrong with a 32.

I also use a pro-slide with mine, which is a sulky but without wheels. It's more like a tractor-trailer MUD flap that drags on the ground. When going, it feels like you are skateboarding. :)

It stripes AMAZINGLY.

stripe1.jpg

10. mike9497

i have to say the 32 makes nice lines.better than my Z or TTHP52