Exmark metro 32 or Ferris 32????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasscanuck, Mar 29, 2005.

1. grasscanuck

grasscanuck LawnSite Member
    from canada

Help!!

Which one should I buy?

I know one is a belt and the other is a single hydro. Speaking from experience what's the consensus?

Thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can offer an interesting perspective of this since I just sold my Exmark Metro 36 and bought the Ferris SD 36. They are basically the same mower as the two you are comparing.

I haven't really had a chance to try my new Ferris out on a large scale but it seems to be a pretty decent mower. The steering takes a bit of getting used to but any mower does. You kind of have to slow it down and push on the handle bars when you want to turn. It will do a zero turn but the Exmark will too if you have more muscles then a little girl. The deck height adjustment is far easier then the Exmark. It has a handle crank that you turn to raise and lower the deck. With the Exmark you have to lift the deck and remove spacers from the front castors to adjust the height. On level ground the Ferris is very easy to operate as is the Exmark. If you cut sideways along a hill you need to keep a constant pressure on the handle bars of the Ferris to get it to track straight. With the Exmark you only need to apply a little pressure to one of the hand controls to keep it going straight. Reverse is where the Ferris really shines. Just like a dual drive hydro you can instantly go from forward to reverse without stopping to shift gears and it has a real reverse. With the Exmark you need to stop, put the tranny into reverse and then back up. The reverse on the Exmark is also only an assist in that it only helps you pull the mower backwards on level ground. Don't even try to back the mower up hill, it ain't gonna happen.

Both mowers take a bit of getting used to if you've never operated a SD or belt drive. It would also not be fair to either mower to only take them for one test drive and then make up your mind.

3. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

They don't make an exmark 32 anymore. Should make the decission easy lol.

4. Richard Martin

5. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Guys, I don't know where you are getting your info. from but they do still make the Metro 32. It is actually upgraded for the 05' season. They have added the new KAI series Kawi twin engine. Unit sells for around 2,400 list.

6. grasscanuck

grasscanuck LawnSite Member
    from canada

Thanks for your input Richard.

Exmark still makes the metro 32. They don't make the viking 32 anymore.

I currently own an exmark metro 32. I like the looks of the Ferris height adjustment but I am somewhat concerned that is is not as durable as the exmark. The ferris is only 10 gague steel compared to the 7 gague on the Exmark.

I am also concerned with transmission replacement cost on the Ferris down the road.

7. Richard Martin

The Ferris may be a 10 gauge deck but it doesn't really need to be 7 gauge. The only reason the Exmark deck needs to be 7 gauge is because it is also a structural member in addition to being the mower deck. The Ferris deck hangs from the front frame and as long as you don't try to beat down concrete pillars with it it should be fine. The Ferris deck also has reinforcement plates around the spindle area and if I recall correctly the Exmark Metro does not.

The transaxle in the Ferris should be good for the long haul. I currently have a Woods CM36 single drive mower (it was built by Ferris) at my shop for repair. It is a 1990 and it still has the same transaxle in it that it came with. The replacement cost of the transaxle in the Ferris should be around $800 to $1000.

8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

My Mistake

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The 32" Viking Was Discontinued...

Richard...How do you Think the Quick 36" Stacks Up to Your Ferris SD 36" ?

10. Richard Martin

Well... Despite the fact that the Quick is somewhat less expensive than the Ferris I still bought the Ferris.