Exmark Metro 36 spindle question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Jul 4, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Looks like its time for me to replace the spindle on my Exmark....
    How hard is it?
    How long will it take?

Does a bad spindle effect the cut....for example would the side that the worn spindle is one cut worse (or lower) than the other side?

Should I also replace the pulley?
    Is it actually the spindle....its pretty loose, and makes a horrible grindong sound

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If you grab the blade and can get movement up and down I would replace. It took me about a hour but you need a press and sockets and brass drive to push with. If your mechanical this is fairly straightforward. A bad spindle will effect the cut. I would not replace pulley unless it is eating belts.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

it is probably just a bad bearing.
  4. shorty7616

Sounds like it may just be a job for the shop.....have the basics...not much else.

I was getting movement when it was disengaged, but was alot firmer after I engaged it????
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That howling/grinding sound is a dead giveaway that the spindle bearings are bad. To check both spindles do this:

1 Remove the spark plug wire
    2 Remove the blade belt
    3 Move your blade engagement lever forward to the engaged position (this releases the blade brake)
    4 Lift the front of the mower up and support it with jackstands
    5 Try to move the blade up and down by the end/tip of the blade. If you have less than 1/8" of play the spindle will need replacing soon. If there is 1/8" or more the spindle needs to be replaced. Do this to each blade.

Approximately how many hours are on your Metro?
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is the Metro?

The spindles are warranted for 3 years.

7. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ya sounds like a shop job might want to give it a try to see if u can take it out yourself
  8. shorty7616

Thanks guys for all the help.....there is alot of play up and down. I tried to get the housing off myself, but just couldn't do it....so I am letting the shop guys do it, figured they could do it faster than I could especially with everything else going on.

This is the first time I've had to replace them, so I was new to the whole thing. The Metro has between 1400-1600 hrs. on it (roughly estimated, probably a little more). And it just turned 4 June 1st.

I know dishboy said a bad spindle effects the cut, anyone else run into this?