Exmark Metro 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLawnBarber, May 14, 2008.

1. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Just have a few questions for you guys that run a Metro or any other belt drive mower. I'm having problems going up hills etc. I usually have to hop off the sulky to help push it up not very high inclines, but it wont even go up slopes or hills even with my assistance.( even without the sulky ) My questions are do i need new drive belts or new idler pulleys or both? I know for a fact that its not the transmision. It seems to be operating smoothly. Thanks, Tyler.

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Your pulley will get noisy when it is bad...you will hear it and can feel it growl if you touch the engine deck near it. You may need a belt, so check its condition for cracks, wear marks like burns on the side, grooves or fraying. If you see any replace it. It may just need the belt tightened though, by moving the pulley over a little. Check the bearing when you have the pulley loosened up. 3#'s of tension on the long side of the belt should make it deflect 1/2".

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Your belts are worn. All you need to do is mess around with the turn buckets on the tension adjustment. Just make sure you put an even number of turns on both side or it will track to one side or the other.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the tension on the transmission belt.

Better yet, read the owners manual then adjust the transmission belt.

The drive belts could need adjusting. That will be covered in the owners manual

Oldtimer

5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys!

6. On the sides, change the spring tension to the bottom (third hole) - this will solve the problem - and I don't know why they don't do it from the factory anyway.

[​IMG]

7. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the cut like on that mower just curious, There is a used one list near me that I have my eye on. The one Im looking at Is actually a viking but I just want some genral info thanks.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

That square deck Exmark has been peddling for years, something about the design caused bad harmonics, Three years of use and it cracked all over. POS IMO.

9. Ain't nothin wrong with it. It's a walk behind - nothing fancy, just good for what you need it to do..

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

your symptoms are tranny belt. If you've been running it a while like that, i'd just put a new one on, adjust it up. Put some hours on it and double check it and away you go.

The reason they dont' put the spring in the third hole is it taxes the spring tension and guys complain about it can be harder to squeeze the handle.

Harmonics? Never seen a metro with cracks. They haven't changed these decks/ drive chasis much in a LONG time. I would say isolated case.