exmark metro 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Jun 28, 2002.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

What should a guy be paying for a M36 and is this a good unit to hae in addition to a 60" lazer Z

2. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Ranger,

A 36 metro gear drive w/15 kohler costs 1999+ tax here in memphis.

3. ranger520

I have been quoted $2399 plus tax for the same mower here. Mabe I should order one from out of state.

4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've gotten those differences from the two dealers in my area. It seems like the good price comes from the volume dealer and the higher price comes from the dealer that carries about 7-10 different brands.

5. ranger520

Would you buy from the cheaper dealer of the one that is going to be there for you when you need them. Or should I just put pressure on my dealer to give me a better price.

6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Ranger:

I would at least bring it up to your dealer that you can buy it for a lower price elsewhere, but you would prefer to buy from him. I did that with a recent purchase of an Echo backpack blower and my dealer was happy to match the price. (The dealer with the cheaper price was about twice the distance of the dealer that I bought from). Give it a shot....the worst case scenario is he says no.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I just bought the 36" Metro 3 days ago and I like it for the most part. Listed for around 2300. Got mulch kit and sulky, after tax it was right on 3000. Still trying to figure out how to keep from scalping high spots and when going over humps. Practice I guess. You might want to consider the Metro HP with the floating deck.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The distributor in our area has had a $1999 special on that mower for several years now. I got one in 2000 for the $1999 price, and several people I know are still getting them for the same.

They are great mowers and the cut and mulching is awesome.

9. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

It never hurts to ask.

But remember this, do you haggle on your pricing? If someone asks for an estimate and you tell them $30 and they say someone else has bid $25 will you match their price. Me I will stick to my price.

There was as much as $600 difference when I bought my Turf Tracer the cheapest (A) was a little over an hour away from my house, the second cheapest (B) was a half hour away and the most expensive(C) was 5 minutes from the house.
    I would never drive to A for parts, so I ruled him out.
    C was a tractor dealer first that carried the exmark line, no other equipment(blowers, trimmers, etc.)
    B was geared towered LCOs
    I did ask if they could match the price but they said no, I asked where do I sign. They did give extra blades, filters and belts to make up for it.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing to consider about the 1999 price, dealer volume. does your dealer move a lot of exmark stuff? if so they can buy in more volume to get a better deal from the distributor and pass the difference along.