ExMark Metro 48" floating fit in 8ft bed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by galusham, Mar 16, 2006.

1. galusham

galusham LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide on the Metro 36 or 48 floating deck and want to know if anyone has fit the 48" in the back of a full size chevy pickup w/ an 8 ft bed between the wheel wells. There is 49 inches between the wheel wells so it seems that it would fit, but the salesman told me it would only go in backwards. I think he said this because he may have thought I had a standard 6ft bed and it may be too short. I have a trailer, but was hoping I could fit it in the truck in case I have a job where there is just no room for a trailer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the business and only have one job lined up. I should probably get the 36", but the 48" is the same price and I just feel like it's the better deal.
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i know a 48" fixed deck will fit so yea it should.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It should. You might have to raise the deck but i dought it
  4. galusham

galusham LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Do you guys think I'm making a mistake getting the 48 inch instead of the 36"? I know I won't be able to fit through gates, but this is the only commercial mower I plan to buy for a while since I will only be part time. I'd like to be able to do large yards and thought the extra 12" would help. I figured I could pick up a 21" walk behind to fit into the occasional fenced back yard. I'd like to get mostly commercial accounts. Would the 36 or 48 be better for those?
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

How many gated yards are you going to do???? If not many make the gates bigger.
  6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I fit my 44" in my bed fine, with the chute up. A 48" would probably fit but it would be close.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You have 50" between the wheelwells, and yes a 48" eXmark deck will fit in there.

Getting it safely up ramps is the hard part.
  8. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

it should fit fine!!!
  9. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Solve this the old fashion way - Get out the old tape measure and measure both items.
  10. smcguirt

smcguirt LawnSite Member

Get the 36 you will be able to do more. I just sold a 48 to get the 36 to be able to get into backyards. Get a good size back yard and cut it a few times with a 21 cause you can't get the 48 in there and you will wish you had that 36 all day long. 36 leaves a nice cut also! I think stepping down to the 36 increased our productivity because of the time wasted on yards with gates we had to use the 21.