Exmark Metro 48 won't move

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rnh719, Jun 8, 2008.

1. rnh719

rnh719 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hi,

I'm pretty new at posting questions, I can usually find what I'm looking for in previous posts. But no such luck this time. I hope I am posting my question in the right forum as well :)

My husband has an Exmark Metro 48" in and is having some problems with it. When he starts it up it, it starts to move and then just quits, then works, then quits.. you get the picture. It does this for about 5 to 10 minutes and he has to push it. Once it "warms up" after that 5-10 minutes it starts working just fine. After he shuts it off to go to the next lawn the problem starts all over. He said it doesn't matter if the next lawn is 30 minutes away or 5 minutes away... the problem starts again after it's been shut off.

He's tried to talk to the shop where we got the mower from and didn't get too far. If anyone has had this problem or has an idea of what it could be, please let me know! Sorry if I didn't explain the above very well as this is not my area of expertise, just trying to help my hubby, so go easy on me :)

Thanks!!

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would try is tighten the adjustment on the belt tension for the transmission belt that runs right under the engine deck from the engine to the transmission input. This adjustment is in the operator manual, but without any drawing or sketch.

If the belt has to be replaced it is a pretty good job, a bit of work to get access to it. I think the Metro HP is harder to do than the Metro, but not sure about this. This replacement is not explained in the operator manual.

Hope it is only an adjustment.

3. rnh719

rnh719 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the reply!! I really appreciate it. I passed that info along to my husband and he's going to check out what you said as he hadn't thought of that. Thanks again! :)

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

At least on my 48" Toro it's no harder than an automotive alternator belt, and being that Toro's and Exmark's 48's are very similar I did want to mention two things:

1. Napa sells these belts for about 1/2 the price of dealer, but make sure you bring one with you (and if it's in bad shape you might have to buy a new one from the dealer first, then go to Napa and get another).

2. Always keep at least one of these belts in the truck, for myself once I'm down to one I go and get 3-4 more.
    Once replaced, it should be about as tight as an alternator belt... Tight but not too tight, hard to describe to a first timer but lets just say so tight that it does not slip again... If it breaks in short order that's too tight but as a rule better tight than loose.

3. Isn't the metro the most manual of the Exmark's?
    If so it shouldn't be too hard, just make sure the blade belt is disengaged then you can slip the trans belt right through the loop.

Three.

5. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my belt driven toro. It lasted about a year until I finally decided to tighten the belt tensioner which is underneath the mower right beneath the transmission. It wouldn't go up hills or anything but now its perfect. Some mechanic tried to tell me I needed a new transmission, I guess I'm lucky I just tightened some stupid nut in 5 seconds.

6. rnh719

rnh719 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

F.S Lawncare- Lol, we hear ya! That was the same problem with my husbands mower and he says it now runs like it did when it was brand new. He went to the Exmark dealership and they guy was trying to tell him random non useful things. Glad you got your fixed with a quick fix too :)

Thanks again to all three of you for the advice and help, he is really glad to have his mower running good and that it was a quick and easy fix!!