Exmark Metro cutting height, velke, grass catcher, and mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GRT, Apr 24, 2008.

1. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Exmark Metro that I just got this year. 40 hours, 15 HP Kawi, $1500. My first commercial mower, and I love it. :)

I have 4 questions.

1. I've adjusted the height by removing the pins from the front castors and putting the spacers on. Can someone tell me what the actual height increments are?

2. I kinda want a velke but I really like the way the mower stripes and I don't want to screw that up. 36" is a little narrow for that 3rd line if you know what I mean. Is there a velke I can get that won't mess up my stripes?

3. I hardly ever bag but I will this fall when I dethatch and overseed. Can someone recommend a grass catcher for this purpose? How much $$ should I expect to spend?

4. Mulching - wouldn't mind putting a mulching kit on it. Best place for that? $$?

Thanks for all your help.

Geoff

2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

1. They are 1/2 height adjustments
    2. Depending on how much you weigh, a Velke may not be a great option. I'm 240lbs and found that the belts would slip some at times. If you are under 200lbs it will probably be fine.
    3. Check out Accelerator Industries. I think they are one of the better ones out there.
    4. I have a mulch kit that came off of my Metro. Has 2 sets of mulching blades and a set of Gators. If you're interested, PM me. Otherwise see your local dealer.

3. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

Thanks Scagguy. I PM'ed you. Sounds like the velke isn't the best option for me. Is it difficult to switch from mulch to side discharge to bagging?

On their website, they say the height increments are 1.0" (2.5 cm) to 4.25" (10.8 cm) in 0.25" (0.64 cm) increments. How is that possible with only 4 spacers? Something isn't adding up for me.

4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sent you a pm.

5. SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE

SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

1/4 inch increments on the height. My dealer advised me against using a velke with my 36" metro. I think he said the transmission would not hold up although I am not positive this is the reason he gave me - that was two years ago. Needless to say I have been doing allot of walking in the back yard.:walking:

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There are 3 different things that can be adjusted to change the height....the front castor spacers, the spacers on the blade bolt, and the rear axle height.

You want to have the axle height at a setting that will allow you to raise/lower the cutting height within the range of heights you need. Then you just need to move the front caster spacers around, and occasionally the blade spacers if you need to.

This is all in a chart in the owners manual, if you have one, or I bet you can view it online.

7. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I appreciate it. I don't have one but I do need to get one.

Geoff