Exmark Metro gear drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1949chev34, Nov 26, 2007.

1. 1949chev34

1949chev34 LawnSite Member

i'm looking at a 2004 metro with a single wheelrd velke. homeowner machine and he wants 1400 bucks. i thinks it a good deal, do you? Also what do you think about gear drive compared to hydro? any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Hydro is definately the way to go given the choice, ease of use and abilities are better than a belt. Seems like an OK deal if it has low hours and is in good shape. Definately try talking him down though
  3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

What size deck is it?

I think a 36" is just $2,000-$2,300.new.So like they said all depends on condition, hours, personally I would not pay more then a grand for any used belt drive. You can find them all the time for around $800.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's a 36" and in good shape it's probably worth about 1200.
  5. 1949chev34

1949chev34 LawnSite Member

hi, thanks for all the repies. the deck size is 48'' and is in really good shape. i would think 1500 bucks max for it. please let me know what you think. thanks alot
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

These are fixed decks, the most economical mower on the market, if you like them that's great but most Lco's use floating deck mowers. That and the pistol grips will kill you. That exact same 48 is all I run but mine are Toros, they are so similar I use the Metro to order parts from some guys who don't carry Toro, but my mowers have the T-bar and that makes a big difference.

Also I didn't get into fixed decks until my 2nd or 3rd year, they're pretty capricious machines, has sort of a finicky temperament.

New the 48" gear drives run right at 3000, 3300 with the velke, 3400 after tax.
    If it's in as nice a shape as it should be in for a homeowner, it should look almost brand new still, or about like a 1-year old that's been used commercially. That one's probably only cut 60-80 lawns, in that sense a commercial unit cuts 600-800 in a year.

The paint should still shine, a few scratches maybe but no gouges, no exposed steel, no paint flaking, no rust.
    No cracks in the deck, I mean it ought to look really nice still (might need washing).
    For that, 1400?
    Yeah, I'd take it but it's a rough one to handle, don't say I didn't warn you.
    You can probably resell it for 2g :laugh: