Exmark Metro HP...any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 4, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am purchasing a Exmark Metro HP it will be here on Friday, I have never used a belt driven mower like this before. Just wondering how the belts hold up in wet or taller grass, do they slip? How good of a machine overall is it? Ant coments would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have a Metro HP. To me, its a great mower. I havn't really used it in wet or tall grass being that i bought it at the end of last season so, i couldn't cut any grass in it. I did use it for leaves though and it did a nice job. How much are you paying for it?

3. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I have a 02 Metro HP, it has the pistol grips. It is a very good mower overall. Belts slip when it rains but it easy to get them to catch. Just a little muscle. My advise is, spray the clevis pins that adjust the deck height with WD-40 or something like that; this keeps it easy to adjust.

Good luck with the mower and congrats.

4. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

Great advise. I used mine last week on a yard at it's lowest setting. When I hit uneven ground the deck would get stuck.

nobagger,
    I've only used mine for one hour. So far, no complaints. I think you will really enjoy it.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Petr, I'm paying $3560.00+tax.

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought one last friday for $3100 even $20 for alum. Grasscatcher Demo $329 Easy ride Sulky. Total $3566 tax tag and title. Think I got a good deal????

7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i love mine ,have mulch kit on it .the only time belts slip is during a good rain ,i know i know shouldn't cut it the rain ,i use a jungle Jim also ,it has no problem pulling me around i weigh 265 , after 10 hrs or a week of use you will need to tighten the transmission belt ,you might think the belts are loss but is the transmission belt that gets stretched out, i only had to tighten it once ,it will take a little to get used to . the two mowers you have are hydros when you pull back on handles you go in reverse ,on the metro its the brake . have fun good luck with new mower i paid 3150 plus mulch kit 150 junkle jim 225 and tax

8. breedingjp

breedingjp LawnSite Member
    from NH

Back in the day, I worked for a small landscaping company during my summers, paying my way through college. Over the years I had the opportunity to try out Ferris & SCAG. Both were great mowers. I had every intention of picking up a Ferris walkbehind (local dealer didn't carry SCAG) but ended up purchasing an Exmark in 2001 upon dealer recommendation. I chose the simple 48" Metro with a 15 HP Kaw (it was a prior year's model, so I saved a few hundred bucks). It was intended for homeowner use only (I have 2+ acres to mow), and also to mow my father-in-law's lawn (3 acres). I planned on having it for many, many years as I was only putting low mileage on it. Great solid mower, and high quality cut. This summer I sold the Metro, and picked up the Metro HP. I didn't do it for the ECS controls (never had a problem with the pistol grips), or the "newer" KAI Kaw engine version. It was for the sheer benefit of quick height adjustments, and the floating deck. I have mixed terrain, as does bits of my father-in-law's yard (some very smooth parts of the lawn, and others with lots of bumps). Sometimes his lawn gets a little longer than I'd like, so having the ability to quickly raise the deck to eat through it is a huge plus. I really like the bigger tires on the HP version. Seems to handle better around the turns (especially with the ECS). I often played around with the blade spacers, and front caster spacers on the old Metro unit, and over the years started to wish I had gotten the HP version instead. I went back to the dealer and was told that the '06 models will likely increase by $300 or more. He was going to buy a few more '05's just to lock in the '05 price. So I bit the bullet and got the HP. I don't need the hyrdo since I am not in production, but for my purposes, the cut is exceptional with virtually no scapling, the build quality is rugged, and the engine starts on the first pull (so did my 4 year old Metro).

9. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've used my Ex-Mark Metro for over 3 years about 24 hours per week during the season. No complaints as long as I keep up with maintenance and take care of it. Pistol grips bothered me at first, but I guess my muscles got stronger and it's no longer an issue. Use a Jungle Jim which really speeds up my work cycle. ExMark makes excellent products, you won't be disappointed!

10. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have one and I love it. I bought a velke x2 and an accelerator for it. very sturdy construction, excellent cut quality.