eXmark metro kohler or kaw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qwikv6, Jun 17, 2003.

1. qwikv6

qwikv6 LawnSite Member

I am going to buy a new belt drive 15 HP/ 48 cut Metro. I can't decide whether I should get the Kaw or the Kohler. I am going to demo the machine tomorrow. Also, if I get ECS I have to get the Kaw.

Is the ECS worth the extra $250?

I can get the pistol grip for $2450 and the ECS for $2699.

This is going to be my main machine so I need it to be "the one." Will the 15 HP be enough to pull the machine and me on a sulkie? (I'm 225 LB).

Any help you experts who have run this machine can provide is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the metro hp 48" with ecs and 17 kawasaki . i love it. nice machine. i have a sulkie on mine. i weigh 185 lbs and it does fine

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have the machine, so I can't comment from experience, but the guy who did reply said he had a 48/17. Remember that between the 15 and 17 is more than a 10% difference in horsepower....

Might want to actually talk to somewho who has the 15 and/or 17 and maybe skip the ecs, but get the 17 HP engine instead?

Gary

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 15 Kohlerand it does just fine. However I am having a personal problem with Kholer. Had I known what I know now on getting a Kholer replacement engine for my shortcut I would have never gotten the Kholer. Just my $.02 I will never get another product with a Kholer mounted on it again. Again this is just personal. Next will be Kaw. They seem to have a replacement available for just about anything.

Oh and the ECS is nice. Takes a lot of tension off your back and your hands arms and wrist are not aching at the end of the day

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was mistaken i actually have the 15 horse kawasaki v-twin

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The ECS is worth every penny. Don't have much expierence with kolher but I love my 17 and 12.5 Kaws.

7. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Metro 15 Kaw engine with the ECS controls and I am very pleased. A friend of mine has the same mower but with the kohler engine and he had to replace it in the begining of the season. The engine was 2 1/2 years old. I would have gotten the 17hp if I really had put thought into it. My 2 cents.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used Kohlers exclusively for years until this year. With only 88 hours my Kawi 21hp twin has started losing power and is in the shop. So no engine is perfect. My mechanic says he has an easier time getting Kohler parts, if that matters.

My Kohler single cylinders were always very reliable and I never wore one out. I think there's not enough difference to matter much in the brands, overall, on the smaller engines.

9. ImprovementsGuy

ImprovementsGuy LawnSite Member
    from Indpls

i'm new in the business have not even started completly but i have a good friend that is a service manager for an exmark dealer and he has told me to only buy a Kaw. mower that is only his feelings in the matter but 2 cents to add to the total
    hope you do well

Doug

10. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE A 14 KAWI ON 48 BELT DRIVE WITH SULKIE, I'M AROUND 190LBS NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. MOWED THIS SET UP FOR 5 YEARS.