Exmark Metro Leaving Washboard Effect On Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SUGAR_CUT_MARK, Jul 14, 2004.

1. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

Hi. I own an Exmark Metro 48" W/B fixed deck mower . I have had this particular problem since i bought this mower (used) After i mow my lawn, in particular, it leaves a wavy washboard effect on the turf. I took it to Weingartz, and the guy told me 2 of the spindle shafts were bent, and the deck wasn't straight, also 2 of the blades were bent. After 1 week in the shop and $210 in parts and repair costs, i'm still having the same problem...Please help with advice and or suggestions!!!

PS: It's not as bad on other lawns for some reason

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mark--since the mower doesn't have the same problem on all lawns I don't think the mower is at fault.

are you expecting too much from the mower? ex: are you comparing a single cut quality on heavy growth that should be double cut?

just an idea....

GEO

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

better get your money back from that shop.

4. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

well, I have noticed that is does leave a similar effect on some of my other customers lawns. It's not as noticeable on thick, lush kentucky blue grass. I was wondering if a bumpy lawn would cause this......but i can't see how, because i've used a Bobcat ZTR with a floating deck on bumpy turf and the cut is far superior. For the record, I am not dogging out Exmark....I happen to love this mower. Usually starts on the 1st or 2nd pull......I really appreciate the responses...please keep them coming

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard that a ZTR rider will not bounce as much as a walk-behind, so you may be onto something about bumps. How fast are you trying to go.

One way to check the idea is to go slower on the lawns that have a problem with bumps. If they smooth out with a slowe mowing speed, you have your answer.

6. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

hmmmm thanks for the tip Mark....I'll have to try that. I normally mow in the 3rd gear, so I guess I'll have to try it in 2nd......or maybe 1st.....

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Possibly these lawns have a strain of bent grass miXed in which unless cut Very Short leaves the type of effect you describe.

8. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

really????I have never heard of that..... Can u describe how that would happen

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Bent Grass grows horizontally & if miXed in w/other turf types that is constantly cut long will leave a "wavy" or bumpy effect on the lawn. We have a Few Lawns w/Bent Grass that have to be cut at min. 2" to Look Half Decent...

10. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Too steep of deck pitch?

That would cause that effect.