Exmark Metro Mulch Set Up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagguy, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Due to all the rain we have had this summer, most of my yards are at 6-8 inches after just a week. The few bi weekly accounts I have are worse. I like the way the factory mulch kit works but the problem is in some cases it's difficult to cut because the engine (15 Kawi) is bogging down. Would removing the mulch kit and installing an OCDC with factory mulch blades help solve my problem? What would be the mulch quality? Do I use factory mulch blades or Gators etc.? Thanks.

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I ran mulch kits on all my mowers for the past two years (drought years). I loved them and never had any problem bogging down.

This year has been WET (not complaining... I love it!) and the mulch kits were not getting it done well. Engine bogging down, leaving grass turds and uncut grass.

I dont know if a blade change will do much for you. I went back to side discharging. And honestly, with just a little more effort, I am getting a nice clean looking yard...

I'll leave the mulch kit off for awhile...

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"and the mulch kits were not getting it done well. Engine bogging down, leaving grass turds and uncut grass."

Hmmm,thats what I am afraid of if I put a mulch kit on. People have said that with a mulch kit and thick .big grass,that you will have to cut it twice.I do not want to cut every lawn twice,that will take too much time.Right now,in big,thick grass(side discharging),ther are ways to still lose the grass while not cutting it twice.The drawback is that there is more to blow off in the beds,walks and streets.

I really am going crazy trying to decide if I should put the mulch kit on or continue to side discharge.The machine is an 07 56" Triton with a 23 HP Kawi.:hammerhead: