Exmark metro or metro HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Apr 12, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

Is it worth the $600.00 difference between the Exmark metro (fixed) and the metro HP(floating). I am getting a 48" gear drive walk behind(with pistol grips).Can't i adjust the front spacers on the metro(fixed) if needed, to change cutting height? For a gear drive is the fixed deck sufficiant? Has anyone used these? This will be my primary mower for this season, it's all i can afford to get started. Any input will be helpful.
  2. proscene

proscene LawnSite Member

If your mowing the same area everytime, fixed is ok. If you're in business and have to adjust to various heights for your customers, I strongly suggest the extra $$$ for floating decks.
    Also note: majority of gear drive walk behinds have what is called an "assist" reverse gear. What this means is . . . neutral!
    A hydro has real reverse as does the gear drive Toro T-handle. There may be some others but this was a very strong feature to have for my business.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Kona - I just had to make the same decision. You get more than just the floating deck for the extra $600 and the floating deck will definitely give you a better cut. Your dealer should be able to tell you what the differences are. The thing that struck me about it was that the drive tires looked awfully small. Then I looked at belt drive vs hydro and decided that since I'm going to try to support a family of 4 with my income, I'd better get the most productive drive train possible, hydro. I ended up with the 48 inch Turf Tracer HP with the 17 hp Kawasaki electric start and ECS for $4,900. I take delivery next week. This is almost twice what I originally budgeted for my mower, but I think it was the right decision.
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I own an Exmark Metro HP 48" 15hp Kaw. Its a great machine! I would highly reccomend the floating deck. This is the HP model of the Metro. I say this for multiple reasons, including:

Larger, rear drive wheels for better traction, drive, and ease of going over obstacles (such as curbs).

Floating deck reduces scapling by a lot.

Height adjustment with the floating deck is WAY easier than adjusting with a fixed deck. Just pull 4 pins, and adjust the height, and replace the pins. No hassel. With the fixed deck you have to mess with spacers on the front canasters....and bolts in the rear. This can take alot more time, not to mention being a big pain in the butt.

At the time of my purchase I was "talked" into paying the extra money and getting the floating deck (Metro HP) over the fixed deck (Metro). I was a little skeptical to say the least. Well, my dealer wasn't blowing hot air. Every time I adjust my deck I think of what a pain it would be if it were fixed. I love the larger wheels, and would never cut with a fixed deck. Why scalp if you can prevent it? Spend the money now, you are going to be using this machine alot, you won't regret it!
  5. exman2

exman2 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I got four exmarks. We just bought a 60 in truf tracer. We love it. I would highly to STAY away from belt drive. I used one for 3 weeks and sold it because it was to slow. Look into a hydro and make it worth your time

Marks lawn care
    Saginaw mi
  6. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I have a metro 48" and would gladly pay another 600 bucks for a floating deck. Having the weight of the mower seperated from the deck would make a ton of difference. If having more flotation of the deck means you can use the 48 instead of the 36 on just two or three properties, it probably pays for the $600 price difference over the course of a season. Get the floating deck.
  7. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

how much did you pay for a 60" turf tracer? it seems that you could buy a lazer for not much more.
  8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Get the floating deck, you'll be much happier.....easier to change cutting hieght, curb hopping, less scalping, etc.

9. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

No real comment on the deck discussion.

I thought this comment was funny... sometimes I think you are better in neutral trying to backup...lol.. what a waste of an "R" sticker.
  10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Esby you are good, I have to replace the pins individually. I know what your saying tho:)

Good unit the Metro HP. The other deck I believe requires a wrench to adjust the height.

The belt drive is about a grand less than the hydro? That was my deciding factor. Ive had some slippage, but have repaired the problem (Until it rains)

Good luck