Exmark Metro Question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Doogiegh, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Howdy Guys,
    Quick Question:

2002 Metro, 32", 12.5 kawi, gear driven, pulling a "pro-slide" attachment for the big open areas. I weigh about 175. Like to cut the big open areas in speed "4". I added on the Mulch kit, it's working incredibly well.

I was having a little bit of "getting going" traction problem with the belts slipping, I could see the pulleys turning, but they weren't moving the mower forward. I know you can't comment too much since i'm using a Non-Exmark label sulky thing, but here's my overall question:

I adjusted the "Wheel drive spring tension" as described in the instructions (page 33, section 5.2.14) from tension "A" to tension "B" to increase forward pulling power.

Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for by increasing the overall tension in the system?

Is such a change "normal" to do?

Would there be any severe consequences or will I just be running thru belts FASTER than "normal" due to the added tension, rubbing, etc, and that's about it?

I used the mower all weekend in "B" and it's performing at the exact level I literally dreamed of. <G> Guess I'm just nervous about tweaking any setting that isn't "factory stock", figuring your engineers must put them in setting "A" as stock for a reason, and gotta be a good one.. Otherwise they'd all come in "B" stock. <G>

Thanks!!!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Doogiegh,

First I would recommend that you look at section 3 for the proper adjustment of the drive levers. This is the assembly section but the drive lever adjustment is covered here. If you have a pistol grip you want to make sure that the clevis pin is not bottoming out in the thumb latch groove. You should have at least an 1/8” gap when adjusted properly.

This is most likely the source of your problem. If you have an ECS the adjustments are covered there as well.

As far as changing the spring location there is only one downside that I am aware of. It does increase the drive lever tension and on occasion by the end of summer the operator’s forearms will look like Popeye's.

Look at the drive lever adjustment rather than the spring adjustment I suspect you'll find the solution there. The machine should be pulling your riding attachment pretty well unless the belts are getting wet.

Thanks

Terry

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Crew,
    Thanks for the quick and prompt reply. I'll make sure that the drive levers are adjusted and proper as well. I did notice that there is an increase in the "grip" muscle it takes, but it's ok.. And heck, that's only on "B" Tension. What would "C" do? <G>

Thanks again,
    Gary