1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark metro, random.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRENTMAN, May 14, 2010.

BRENTMAN LawnSite Member

I keep seeing people selling metro walk behinds that are close to brand new, with hardly any use on them. Do these mowers suck or something? Or are guys buying them and finding out it doesn't perform the way they need?

Anyone know why people buy these mowers just to sell them shortly after?

Maybe its just a coincidence, idk, but I've seen 3 so far in the last week on craigslist here that say "bought brand new in april" or "only 40 hours on mower!"

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Metro 32" and I love it. Not sure why so many are selling that quickly.

BRENTMAN LawnSite Member

can you elaborate on that? I'd consider grabbing one if I had some insight on them, and if they arent shoddy. Can you put a sulky on one?
    Someone told me its because its more of a home-owner's mower, and not so great for a company. Is this accurate?
  4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

No, an exmark metro is a commercial mower, just not a hydro. I have one that I bought brand new back in 2003 and it is great, still runs and I use it often, but hydros have kinda spoiled me for gear drives, but I will never sell mine! The only think I can think of is maybe they are stolen or they got a really good deal and now are trying to make some money on them?

BRENTMAN LawnSite Member

Yeah i'd much prefer a hydro, but for the right price it may be a good buy. Unless its stolen like you said. I'm not sure. I just have noticed that lately and was wondering if something was up.

does it cut well? how is the handling on it
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  6. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

not one thing about it is homeowner. One of the best fixed deck/gear drive you can buy.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

not homeowner at all. i just got a metro 48" and absolutely love it. wayy better than my gravely and toro in all aspects. been reliable and ECS is very comfortable and easy to control. have nothing but good things to say about this mower so far. i woudlnt listen to the person who told u that a metro is a homeowner mower at all anymore because they have no clue what they are talking about

BRENTMAN LawnSite Member

thanks for the info guys

BRENTMAN LawnSite Member

I see you have the catcher and velke on yours...hows it do with the velke?
    Also, hows the catcher hold up?
  10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Metros do fine with velkes, as long as you are normal weight. I used a 2 wheel velke on mine, and it had no problems at all, but it wouldnt pull me up some hills, but that I kind of expected from a gear drive too. If it is a small deck, you may have to add weights, but other than that, they will pull a velke around all day long!