Exmark Metro?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by landgator, May 11, 2006.

1. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

I'm new in the business and looking at buying a commercial mower. I'm adding new contracts by the day. Should I spend the money and buy a Scag 48" Ztr at $6200 or should I buy a Exmark Metro 48" Koler 15 hp for $2799. I also can buy a smaller metro 36" for $2499. I just don't know if I'm ready for the expensive ZTR. Any suggestions on weed eaters? Thanks for all the help.:usflag:

2. jdkatz

jdkatz LawnSite Member

The equipment you buy and the price you pay is up to you. I am very new in the lawn service industry. I mainly work sub divisions, the yards are less than 8000 sq ft. I have a 2006 Exmark 32 with a sulky, Shindawa stick edger and weedeater, and a sm kawasaki backpack blower. Its all new stuff except the sulky, I like the reliability of new stuff. Some day in the not so distant future I will get a zero turn mower, but that will happen when my needs warrent it. My own personal opinion is if yo can afford the Scag you should buy both Exmarks, The 36" fits thru gates easy and the 48" will make short work of big open spaces. And get a sulky.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

TRIMMERS- I like stihl for that

I have a metro, i love it, however, a hydro WB would sure be nice though, If youve got the money then go for that, eXmark makes a great product, don't get me wrong, i am extremely happy with my metro, just a hydro (viking or TTHP) would have been nicer.

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran a metro for years and it proved to be a great little mower. Replaced with the Viking wich is about the same model but hydro. Production increased and fatigue decreased. If you are serious about this and can afford the difference skip the first step of the belt drives and choose the hydro.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2003 Exmark Metro 48" with Sulky and mulch kit for sale in Raleigh if you are interested. It has roughy 250 total hours on it and is in great condition. Everything kept up well, serviced regularly. 15hp Kohler.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Metro is a great mower, I have one. BUT get a hydro. you will make more money.
    Match the mower to your lot size. Get a Z only if you have a need (big lots)
    A W/B will be much more versatile

7. ClayMcC

ClayMcC LawnSite Member

I bought a new ExMark Metro HP 48" w/ Kawasaki 11 HP in 1995 (which makes it eleven years old now) and it's still my favorite mower. I've heard and now believe that single wheel "sulkies" are more dangerous to operate then the X2 Velke's. I added a Velke to my Metro... removed the mulching kit ... so now I can cruise the steep side of hills in 5th gear!