Exmark metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jokatico, May 27, 2004.

1. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

I am thinking of buying my first real commercial mower, a 48" walk-behind.
    I currently have a 15hp 42" riding mower. I am hoping that this will be a wise investment. Any tips or comments on these mowers?

2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We have an exmark metro 36" and it cuts great. exmark has great dealer support and their machines are awesome. We love ours and next year we're probably gonna get a Turf Tracer 52".

3. creek chub

creek chub LawnSite Member

ditto to lawnranger,

I also have an exmark. It's a metro 36". Nothing fancy. But man, she's a tank.

Creek Chub

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Metro is a great mower. I would strongly recommend getting a Metro HP though. The floating deck is well worth the extra money IMHO.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a 32" metro. I love that little mower. I use it once a week. Saves me from using the 21" snappers. For belt drives, they are a good machine for a good price.

6. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

Thanks for the input. I thought about going hydro but my local dealer is talking me out of it. For a little more $ he recommends a Zero turn. He also told me that if I learn how to use a fixed deck I can save the extra $. I haven't had time to demo them because of all the rain we have been getting around here.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I used fixed deck belt 36ers for 23 years before going to Hydro floating. If you buy a wb I would disregard your dealers opinion. You can not beat the convenience and cut [deck rake is consistant] of the floating. I find I change heights much more often now that it is easy.

8. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I have a exmark wb with floating deck hydro, and a fixed deck belt drive toro, and after using the exmark will never get another fixed deck or belt drive if I can avoid it! I love my exmark, Im thinking about selling my Z and getting another 52inch exmark wb.

9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an eXmark 36 metro and it cuts like a demon. I love the cut it renders.

But I gotta tell ya, Jokat, if I had it to do over again, I'd have coughed up the additional grand or so to get a floating deck and hydro drives. I'm 45 years old, so maybe its just my age, but the belt drive just doesn't back up worth beans and I'm beat at the end of the day pulling that thing out of corners.

Some will say not to drive it into corners, but then I get to use a trimmer on large areas (meaning a lousy-looking cut) or break out the little 22" mower. Pick your hemlock, eh?

As far as your dealer is concerned, please be mindful of the fact that while you're running your a** off in the heat, he's sitting in an air-conditioned shop. So that's my vote for hydro drive walks.

As for the fixed versus floating deck, there's not much difference when it comes time to change blades, but if you have accounts that need a lot of different cutting height changes, get the float or learn new ways to string profanities together into sentences.

As for the difference between a WB and a zero, the maximum speed of an eXmark Turf Tracer is 6.2 mph. A lot of my jobs are too danged bumpy to go much faster than that, and the rest aren't big enough to need a deck of greater size. WBs are also much more stable on slopes.

Not that I'm ADVOCATING anything!!! But if it was me (and next year, it will be), I'd go for the hydro float WB now unless I had a couple of really large jobs with smooth turf that just scream for a zero-turn rider.