1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liltex, Jul 14, 2004.

1. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

how's this deal sound? a new (2003) 32 w/b gear driven for $1999 from a dealer. (12.5 kaw engine) Would i be better off getting a ztr for around 6k? i've got a rider with a 42 but not commercial grade. i cut about 20 residents every fri and sat. thanks for your input nick

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on your lawns. If they are fairly wide open and a Z will save you time you might want the Z. If they have fences or enough obstacles to keep you going slow the w/b might make more sense.

$1999 for the w/b sounds like a good price. I paid $2300 for a 2003 36" Metro.
  3. liltex

liltex LawnSite Member

well i've got both but i've only got 2 jx85 w/b with some fairly big back yards. i work by myself doing 10-12 on friday. but my trailer is only 5x8 because i didn't know i was going from 5 to 35 accounts in 6 months. my rider is only 8 months old.(42) but do i want gear driven or not shine some light for me. no scientist here!!
  4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the 32. But spend the extra $350 and get them to convert it to the ECS controls. You'll love yourself for it, especially if you run with the pistol grips for a week first.
  5. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

if you go w/ the wb you might want to go ahead and get a 36. I just looked at a new 36 metro gear w/ 12.5 kaw for 2,200. Still deciding b/w this or a scag 36 belt w/ twin kohler for 2,300. Exmark dealer did say that the 2,200 price would be going up in August.
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 36" Metro HP (floating deck & pull 4 pins to change height). I like it alot. Only 1 gate that I haven't been able to get thru (a 32" would have made it). We change height alot, so I'm glad I don't have the fixed deck!

If you have alot of FENCED in yards, get the walk behind. If you don't, get the Lazer as it will save you time & wear and tear on YOU.

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Due to rising steel prices, current pricing should be good through August 31.
  8. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

ive got a 36" scag w/ a 15hp kaw and i love it.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 1996 exmark 32" metro. Never had a problem with it. I have replaced the tires and front hups. But everything else is fine. It doesn't get used much. But a 32" will go anywhere. I had one gate with 1/2" on each side. I never will own a 36" machine. Only a 32" or don't bother.