1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark missing b/t blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottishmaximus, Apr 28, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

My 48" tthp is missing grass between blades. the blades are sharp and are not rounded on the edges. The deck is clean as well.

Any thoughts?
  2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Are these new blades.....if so, measure them tip to tip diagonally and compare to the oem blades........ they could be the wrong blades, or just poor quality replacements....

Could this be an air flow problem??? Are these a diferent type of blade than oem (mulcher, etc...), or are they factory high lifts?
  3. scottishmaximus

from ohio

i had the problem with the original blades. I put gators on and the problem seemed to go away but is back again. I am cutting at about 3" and usually 6 days growth. the 36" go through it fine but i think they have more overlap.
  4. Sounds like they are blowing the grass down. Are you cutting tall thin dry grass?

Going to have to play with some blades.

Also check the pitch/rake, might be the back is lower then the front.

You have an HP so I guess that means floating deck right?

This will be easy to adjust.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What about the anti-scalp wheels? How are they set? Sometimes if they are set where they run very close to the ground, they will push the grass down and cause that problem.

From the rear, if the wheels are between 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock side of the blade rotation, sometimes the blade won't lift the grass back up to be cut. Then later it "pops" back up.
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem 1 week last year on my 36" TTHP. I found the problem went away after putting on sharp blades, especially ones that were the correct length. The ones causing the missed grass were too short, but close enough so that I grabbed the wrong ones.
  7. scottishmaximus

from ohio

I forgot all about deck rake. I have never adjusted this, but it could be the problem. I did notice that the rear tires were a little low. That might be it. I'll also check and make sure that the blades are the right size. If they are wrong, my dealer sold me the wrong ones. Keeping the blades sharp does help. I really don't think it's the rollers, they don't push the grass down much more than the deck. Thanks for some ideas.