exmark motor question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harrington Landscape, May 9, 2008.

1. Harrington Landscape

Harrington Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Erie Pa

I have a 15 kaw motor on my 48 hydro exmark now when i am mowing the motor surges up and down it has no power in tall grass boggs down wont throw the grass out. Now when i am at sitting or not mowing it runs fine what could be wrong with the motor. the air filter is new the gas filter is new Help me please.

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

sounds like carb issues to me..

3. Harrington Landscape

from Erie Pa

that is what i was thinking

4. totallawncare25

from TN

had the same issue on my Turf Tracer 52" w a 23hp kohler and i replaced the whole carb with a brand new one for 250 bucks and i was back in business. Dont waist your time trying to rebuild it as my dealer and myself have never had any luck. My dealer doesnt even stock rebuild kits. He does infact stock carbs though..

5. Harrington Landscape

from Erie Pa

what in the carb would make it do that I am going to get the price on the new one today

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Lean surge, air leak or dirty carb , I'd pull carb apart and spay all air /fuel passages and then blow out with compressed air. Don't need a rebuild kit. Before you pull down with engine idling spray carb cleaner around carb mounts, if rpms drop you are sucking air .

7. totallawncare25

from TN

i would have to say that 95 % of the time the issue is internal not external so spraying carb cleaner or wd40 around the carb is meaningless. The very very tiny jets in there and passages could have gotten a tiny piece of trash lodged in where nothing will get it out, compressed air or any aerosol can will blow out. Dont waste your time buy another and install and go on alot quicker and they are set already from the factory.. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE SPEAKING HERE. I always buy new carbs its worth it in the long run

8. Harrington Landscape

from Erie Pa

I have just put the call into the exmark dealer to get a new carb so it is on its way. thank you for your help

9. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

before buying a new carb ,i would just put fresh gas in it ,can of carb cleaner and change the plugs . it just might be a little water in the fuel.

10. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

first try draining the carb bowl, sounds like you got some water at the bottum