Exmark mowers cutting bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djlawn, May 11, 2004.

1. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 60" Exmark Lazer Z and 2003 48" Hydro Turf Tracer HP. The 48" cuts ok, but my Lazer cuts like crap in the taller grass. I have some lawns that I mow every week and my Lazer leaves so many clippings. I am cutting everything at 3" because it is growing so fast this year. I have tried gator blades and hi-lift blades and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I just don't know what to do. In the shorter grass it's fine, but anything taller than like 4.5" is a hay field.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the discharge shoot on still. If so take it off. Also some mowers have too narrow of a discharge opening that doesnt allow the clippings to spread out evenly.

3. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I took the discharge chute a long time ago. As far as the blades I try to put sharp blades on every day or two and keep the deck clean every 2-3 days. They mow fine in the shorter grass. It's just with the longer grass over 4.5" it looks like a hay field got mowed when I am done. This is the first year that I have really ever had a problem with this. I

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Any mower will leave it like a HAY field in those conditions, Try DOUBLE HIGH LIFTS!!!.

John

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

John is right. Or, gator on top of high lift in a + shape. The trouble is not the mower but the grass is too much. You need to bag, double cut, mow more often, or quit complaining ;) just kiddin about quit complaining. There's a vast difference between single blades and doubles in these conditions. I've experienced those types of conditions lately.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Double Cut when it's that bad raising the deck on the 2nd pass a 1/4 inch. All mowers in heavy conditions need a 2nd pass if you want to hide all the clippings.

7. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I was talking to a few other people and they told me that my engine is just losing power. There is over 2000 hours on the motor. The machine was flipped last year and couldn't get it to shut off, might have something to do with it. Everything seemed all right last year though.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Any mower will leave a lot of clippings if its got that much volume its cutting.

Put a tach on the motor and see where the RPM's are. If they are low the blade tip speed will be slower and will hurt the quality and the dispersement.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You are expecting miracles?
    The grass is growing as it usually does this time of year,to expect no cuttings on top of the lawn with it that high while discharging and not double cutting is simply not achievable.

Don't blame it on the machine,learn the techniques.

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i had one like that the other day
    the first time i cut on 4.25
    done all the weed eating
    to give the clippings time to dry
    out some (about 2 hours)
    then came back and cut it at 3.0