Exmark Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by F&F Lawncare, Dec 15, 2007.

1. F&F Lawncare

F&F Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hi, I am looking at a older exmark mower. How are they compared to the new ones? This one I am looking at is from the mid to late 90's, comes with a exmark grass catcher, and is in pretty good shape. It's a 36". How are the exmarks compared to the Bobcat 36's because I was really looking for a bobcat? Please let me know. Thanks:usflag:
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Are you talking about walk behinds? eXmarks will give you a better cut than the bobcats.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking, 36" mowing deck, 15hp Kohler. It was bought in 1996. The deck is a fixed deck. As far as I know, these mowers are exactly the same now as in 1996, excepting two things. First, the controls are ECS, not pistol grip, like mine. Second, I think the engines are 15hp 2 cylinder Kawasaki engines, not the Kohler. But, the deck, wheel motors, hydro pumps, etc, are probably the same.

Mine has been here and back, more than a few times. I expect I have over 6,000 service hours, perhaps more than 6,500 (no hour meter). I am running the second engine, this one lasting longer than the first one. I use mine as part of my regular suite of equipment. It was used "full time" until mid-season 2006, when I bought a ZTR. The ZTR took out the longer running jobs that I had been using the Exmark for years. The service hours in this season, and the last, were less than previous years.

The parts that have been changed:
    Engine (previous one just has sooooo many service hours!)
    Drive tires
    Spindle bearings (a few times)

The hydro oil gets changed once per year at the end of the season -- new filter and 1 qt of 15W-50 Mobil 1.

A few parts on the controls are pretty loose, with holes elongated a bit. But, other than that, it continues to do the same job it did the day I brought it home. Reliability has been far beyond what one would expect from this kind of equipment. In the past several seasons, I don't recall having lost one hour of work time for a repair. I do maintain it well, with regard to lube, blade sharpenings, oil/filter changes for the engine, and hydro oil/filter in the off-season.