Exmark Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by F&F Lawncare, Dec 15, 2007.

1. F&F Lawncare

F&F Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hi, I am looking at a older exmark mower. How are they compared to the new ones? This one I am looking at is from the mid to late 90's, comes with a exmark grass catcher, and is in pretty good shape. It's a 36". How are the exmarks compared to the Bobcat 36's because I was really looking for a bobcat? Please let me know. Thanks:usflag:

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Are you talking about walk behinds? eXmarks will give you a better cut than the bobcats.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking, 36" mowing deck, 15hp Kohler. It was bought in 1996. The deck is a fixed deck. As far as I know, these mowers are exactly the same now as in 1996, excepting two things. First, the controls are ECS, not pistol grip, like mine. Second, I think the engines are 15hp 2 cylinder Kawasaki engines, not the Kohler. But, the deck, wheel motors, hydro pumps, etc, are probably the same.

Mine has been here and back, more than a few times. I expect I have over 6,000 service hours, perhaps more than 6,500 (no hour meter). I am running the second engine, this one lasting longer than the first one. I use mine as part of my regular suite of equipment. It was used "full time" until mid-season 2006, when I bought a ZTR. The ZTR took out the longer running jobs that I had been using the Exmark for years. The service hours in this season, and the last, were less than previous years.

The parts that have been changed:
    Engine (previous one just has sooooo many service hours!)
    Drive tires
    Belts
    Spindle bearings (a few times)

The hydro oil gets changed once per year at the end of the season -- new filter and 1 qt of 15W-50 Mobil 1.

A few parts on the controls are pretty loose, with holes elongated a bit. But, other than that, it continues to do the same job it did the day I brought it home. Reliability has been far beyond what one would expect from this kind of equipment. In the past several seasons, I don't recall having lost one hour of work time for a repair. I do maintain it well, with regard to lube, blade sharpenings, oil/filter changes for the engine, and hydro oil/filter in the off-season.

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG