Exmark mulch kit install

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Jun 8, 2003.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 2003 Exmark 60" lazer liquid cooled z one month ago, the cut quality still amazes me as the mowing conditions continue to change. My mulch kit didn't have instructions with it so I have to ask you guys with experience. I got all the baffles in place and the new wavey mulching blades on but what about that turbo baffle that is located at the discharge area. Do you remove it or leave it there? It looks like it come out?

2. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Remove the Turbo baffle.

You should also toss those wavy eXmark mulch blades in the garbage & use Gator high-lifts , Gator Magnums or even stock Excaliburs.

They all produce much better results when mulching, especially at higher settings..

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself like the wavy exmark blades and think there better then gators. to each his own

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I like the Exmark mulching blades just fine, but right now I'm looking for more lift because of heavy growth. Any ideas on what I should run instead of the Exmark mulching blades? Thanks guys!
    BTW, remove the baffle :D

5. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like I need to get that baffle out from under my deck. I will see how the factory blades work for now....

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When cutting grass with the mulch kit the factory mulching blades do the best job. Any other blades disrupt the airflow design of the mulch kit. This causes the clippings to stay on top of the grass surface.

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The clippings will dissapear into the turf with blades other than the wavy mulchers. The metro 21", Lawnboy com., Toro Recycler (without kickers) & many other excellent mulching mowers use a flat lift blades with excellent results. Have also found stock Excaliburs can handle lusher growth with the kit.

The amount of complaints we had while cutting summer growth at 3.5" & over with the eXmark mulchers was unreal. Switched to different blades & the complaints stopped.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't if funny how you just can't tell the truth anytime on this forum. Just a couple days ago you posted how you had me, LGF and others on your ignore list. If that is the case, how could you possible have known to respond to my post???

What other mowers do with mulch kits is irrelevant. The eXmark design is different. Yes, under some condition you can use other blades satisfactorily, but the mulch kit blades are designed with the airflow in mind.

Maybe you don't like the eXmark wavy blade because it takes to long to sharpen?????:dizzy:

9. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Mr. Hoss, it is unfortunate you were grouped in with the other 2 in my previous posting.

After reviewing I found your posts avoided the childishness & bordered on professionalism. You have been afforded the privileged of being taken off Ultimate Lawn's ignore list.

BTW, the eXmark system is not so special, as with any mulch system it is simply separated chambers. Most any lift blade will provide the airflow necessary to mulch & you are correct about the sharpening, it does take longer as adjustments must be made to my Mag 8000.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not saying the others will not mulch, I'm saying it leaves a lot of the clippings laying on top of the grass. If I remember correctly your in Alabama?? Your cutting what type of warm season grass? On bermuda and zoysia here any other blades leave a trail of clippings on the surface. Now, leaf season is a completely different story.

Let me tell everyone this, all conditions are different, so try different combinations to see what works for you.