Exmark Mulching Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by River Hill, Apr 25, 2001.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Are any of you guys using the Exmark Mulching kit in the Mid-Atlantic region? I own one but only have used it a few times. The grass seems to be too thick, I took it off last year and have not put it on since. I used it on a Turf Tracer HP 48 17HP. I have seen a couple people with them and wonder if they have improved or done any improvements. I guess my biggest complaint was grass streaking and clumping. It worked great on some yards but bad on others. The problem is it takes a while to take off and put on. The biggest plus was no grass in the beds.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have one for my 36. I only use it in the fall for mulching leaves. The grass grows too fast and is often way too wet for mulching. I'm near Annapolis.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one for my 36" Exmark sitting in my garage. Does this count?.LOL The mower came with it but I don't use it. I would rather just let the grass fly. I need to get rid of it I guess. This is not an advertisement, I'm just thinking out loud.LOL

4. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Brian,

I use one on the west coast from June on. But I have a 60" Lazer Z and this is what I do to get rid of the clumps on the lawns that are really growing to fast. I just raise up the deck a 1/2 inch and crisscross the lawn 90 degrees. This stripes it out real nice and hides the extra clippins. Now if I was using a Walk behind this might not be worth it. Happy trails .

5. MDSMAN

MDSMAN LawnSite Member

it works awsome you just have to cross cut and slow down a little it makes up time not having to worry about getting much grass in mulch beds.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i am getting my metro 36" in about 3 weeks and will be getting the mulch kit for it. So far with my experience with it, it does a great job.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We are now running the mulch kits on both eXmarks. Both do an excellent job. On bermuda and zoysia is works awesome. I will admit my HP doesn't do as great on fescue as the metro. But on bermuda and zoysia its 100%.

8. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Since getting my Lazer HP 52 a couple weeks ago I have noted that real tall and thick fescues do require a slower speed to mulch properly and of course sharp blades. On one Chemlawn yard I serviced, I took 8" thick grass down to 4.5 (not designed for this I know) and then went back over it twice (after it dried and brought it down to 3.75" A learning experience.. Looked like a disaster after intial cut because of the excessive moisture in the thick fescue grass, but once it dried I was able to mulch it all in and the yard looked nice when done.
    I also recommend you stay off driveways or you will spend more time cleaning up the grass

9. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

The mulch kit works great on bermuda and zoysia. I take it off to scalp lawns in March, but I couldn't imagine not using it the remainder of the year. I know this doesn't help you, but just thought I would chime in.

10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" MetroHP with a mulching kit installed. I have no problems at all mulching in dry conditions. But if the grass is even the slightest bit wet, it makes a mess. The one thing we do to eliminate problems is to scrape the deck after every cutting when its wet. This seems to help, but in very wet conditions there is not much you can do but, bag, throw, or wait.