1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark mulching kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sooners, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I have a 60" Lazer and usually start in the spring using the mulching kit. Then the grass gets too high to mow some of my large lots that are done every 3 weeks. So I end up taking the mulching kit off to accomadate them. The kit is supposed to be quick on and off, but I don't find that to be true. Here's my question: Do any of you use only the side plate and leave the rest of the kit off? I typically use gator blades and I'm thinking of putting only the side plate on when I want to mulch.
  2. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

I believe the fins on the blades would shoot all the clippings to the shoot side of the mower leaving a trail of clippings. then you would be stuck in the Field cleaning up your mess and Putin your mulch kit back on, or you could take the plate off I suppose. You might want to experiment with it first.
  3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I tried that once a couple years ago. You will get trails of grass clippings, all piled up on the right side (discharge side) of the mower. Big long strings of it right down the entire length of the lawn you are cutting. Now it'd be great if you then had a vaccuum or a hay-baler machine to follow behind you, but for a regular lawn cut, the baffles are there for a very very important reason. <G>

4. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

I hope you charge more money for every three weeks cutting. Kind of crazy and also very stressful on mower motor, belts, fuel, cutting time, speed, blades etc
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

That's not really mulching anymore now is it? That's merely not discharging your clippings.

I have just put the side plate on once in awhile when I need to keep a landscape bed clear, although I have to run over the area 2 or 3 times because it just piles up on the right side of the mower.

from AL

The eXmark decks seem to work better than others I have used with just the plate because of the baffling but without the Mulch chamber baffles it is still an excercise in futility.
  7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If you take that kit off and on a few more times....it does get pretty easy....air tools will help save time also.

Sooners.........coming to T-Town next week to take on the Tide with new head coach Mike Shula. We looked good untested Saturday. We will have our game face on come this Saturday.

You guys have an outstanding team.....Roll Tide to you.
  8. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I finally put my micro-mulch kit on a month ago. Took it off after 3 weeks as I felt I had to go too slow and/or double cut too much to make it look good. I bought a "Blade Blocker" from Trimmer Trap and used both the standard exmark blades & the mulching blades doubled up. W/ the mulch kit I found that if I was cutting and had to drive over the sidewalk, driveway, or into the street while mowing(to turn around etc), it would "drop" whatever clippings were up under the deck which made more of a mess to cleanup. Now, if the going gets too tough, I can open the discharge chute and side discharge when I have to or just drop the baffle when I want to keep the clippings under control. It ain't as good as having the Ultra-Vac on or a catcher, but for now, it works for me. Anyone want to buy a slightly used micro mulch kit for a 52"lazer HP? Only mowed 40 lawns w/ it!