1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

** Exmark Mule Belt Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PaulD, Sep 23, 2006.

1. PaulD

PaulD LawnSite Member

My Exmark ZTR is a 27hp, 60".
    Model: Exmark LZ27KC604

The mule drive belt has broken, so I had to purchase a new belt - 103-4014. I put the new belt around every pulley except for the idler pulley. I tried using a wrench to leverage the idler pulley up while I squeezed the belt around. The idler pulley was pushed up as far as possible before it came to a stop, and I till could not get the belt around the pulley. It seemed as if the belt was too short or something.

Can someone please give me some advice on installing the mule drive belt?

Please Help - Thanks.
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

did you get the belt from the dealer? call and make sure it's correct. or compare the old belt to the new one. follow the mule drive belt instructions in your manual.
  3. PaulD

PaulD LawnSite Member

I purchased the belt from my dealer. Also, my parts manuial calls for the same belt that my dealer gave me.
  4. khouse

are you trying to pry your belt on or roll it on? are you following the manual for replacement?
  5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have it routed the correct way?
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

On all spring loaded idlers I put the belt around the idler and other pulleys leaving one pulley for last. Then I use a socket wrench on the hydro or engine pulley nut or bolt then roll the belt on, If it's a deck belt I just grab the blade to roll the belt on.

This is much easier than trying to hold a idler in place while slipping a belt over and causes no damage to the belt.
  7. PaulD

PaulD LawnSite Member

I have been trying to roll the belt on. The operators manual in section 5.2.4 shows how to adjust the mule belt. I did not see a section for installing a new mule belt. The parts manual gave me a better look at how the mule belt should be routed.

I FINALLY GOT THE NEW BELT INSTALLED. There's got to be an easier way of doing this!!! I had to do the following:

1. I leveled the cutting deck (third hole from the top) so the mule belt would be closer to 90 degrees to the turn on the mule pulleys.
    2. I made sure that the mule adjustment pulley was set to its highest position.
    3. I wrapped my kayak tie down strap around the forward idler spring bar then threw the strap around a horizontal welded pole towards the front. The tie down strap was used to hold the pressure of the spring in place so that it would not go back while I was trying to roll on the belt. I used a socket wrench on the idler nut to raise the idler pulley to a maximum level. At this point the idler pulley was at it's maximum point (it was hitting the bottom of the mower), and it would not go back because I had the tie down strap holding it in place.
    4. I tried rolling the belt on - was short by an ounce. Tried for 10 minutes - could not get the belt on for nothing!
    5. Losened the nut on the idler pulley so that the pulley could tilt to the side while I was rolling the belt on.
    6. Number 5 made it work. I retightened the idler pulley nut.
    7. The adjustment pulley, already set at its highest point, did not need re-adjusting because the center of the idler pully nut was in between the two adjustment holes.
    8. Started the mower, throttle to half, engaged pto, blades turning without any problems.

Please let me know if there's an easier way, and show me, please!

Thank you very much for the responses!
  8. khouse

i don't really know why it was so hard to get on. one tip for replacing belts is if possible leave the largest pulley for last as it will install much easier.