exmark(Navigator) vs. Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluemoon, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Has any Walker owners or operators demoed the new Exmark Navigator?
    Just curious?

2. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i havent but it looks like they have copied a good machine.. it looks like a walker and toros outfront z combined.. i have both and both are good machines,the exmark i heard has a price tag of 11 grand

3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I like about the Walker is that it is not heavy, the Navigator I think is at least 200 lbs. more? That being said, I am going to go Demo one if we have one, and the turf tracer, just so I can respond better. Will let you know in a few days.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

They didn't copy the walker they improved an idea that was already out there. The Exmark Navigator is faster than a walker, the stock speed on the naviagator is as fast as a walker can go, add the upgrade and the navigator will go even faster. Also better deck design and the motor has been placed better than a walker so the heat problems that walkers have are not as bad. I would buy neither, I don't see the point when a Z is a better machine but this is just what I know from talking to a rep at the New England grows show!

5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Does the exmark have the same setup as the walker with the foward speed control and the whole deal or is it like a z setup just with two little levers. All the pics I see have the guy using two hands. that not how to operate a walker. Is the exmark cheaper or the same price. Can you interchange decks with the ex like the walker. even thought changing decks is one of the biggest pains in the a**. I still like my walker, expessially dealer support.

6. TheDoc

TheDoc LawnSite Member
    from USA

The Navigator looks like a nice machine. Hope it works out better for them than the Exploder did. Walkers design has only been copied nine times now, one would think these companies could get it right sometime

7. David Grass

I have a Walker, Never had a heat problem, ??????a lot heavier than a Walker too, and not faster than a Walker as of this summer. Why is the deck design better? Just wondering if you actually have demoed both?

8. David Grass

Let me say this too, I think it is what area of the country you are in, IF I was in Mississippi, a Z would be the mower I would use, no doubt, I am only a proponent of the Walker mower with 52 inch, because I live in the mountains, and have demoed a Hustler Z against my Walker, AND I mow an area that an Exmark Z guy cannot mow on, just to help him out!!! I will post pics of my mowing on hillsides in a week or 2, and you guys post some of you on a z (no trick photography, lol)

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had a 20hp Walker since 1998, and have never had any heat problem with the engine. Mine has about 1,100 hrs. on it, and the engine uses no oil. It still runs great. Mine is used in Texas, where we operate it in 100 degree plus heat quite often.

10. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a walker user. I was also a member of the first group outside of the exmark factory to test the navigator and put it through its paces. Exmark used some to the knowledge it gained from the explorer, weight transfer from the toro and what the consumer likes from the walker. The mowing deck is heavier and deeper then the walker. The controls are just like a Z with the twin levers just smaller. The drive system is a little different than the walker. The exmark uses a hydro and a wheel motor, whereas, walker uses a proprietary set up. The controls on the exmark are very smooth.