exmark navigator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by karol, Dec 20, 2007.

1. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Any of you guy's using a navigator. I need some input as i'm thinking of buying one. How's the cut? Is the bagging system good? Thanks.
  2. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a quick search on them this has been coved a few times already. I will say I have demoed one and hated it i wound never buy one. I didn't like the steering and i felt like it clogged very easy. I feel like my lazer with the bagger was a better choice, but two totally different mowers with different uses. A walker may be better, but i haven't tried one.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

karol, I have one right now and a second on order.
    There is an adjustment period when learning to operate the machine but once you grasp how it really is a very comfortable unit to operate.
    I would, however, suggest you look into the Walker series of machines as all the Navigator is, is a reverse engineering of the Walker - and I got this straight from ExMark.
    As well as ExMark's stated position of not offering the attachments which are available from Walker.
    My reason for the Navigator vs the Walker is I have a pre-existing superb rapport with my dealer, and the local Walker dealer sent me packing like I wasn't good enough for him to do business with.
    Apparently the Walker dealer wasn't interested in the $100K+ in equipment I have bought in the last two and a half years.
    That said, I like the Navigator, and more importantly so do my crews who argue all of the time who gets to operate it.
    My company maintains primarily C4 turfgrass with several sites overseeded with C3 turgrass and I haven't noticed a propensity towards clogging.
    Quality of cut is great, ease of maintenance is nice and the unit collects quite well.
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would like to demo one again next year. I think the one I demoed was just boogered up or something, the drive on it was VERY jerky. Be a few years before I upgrade any mowers though I think (I hope lol).
  5. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Keep it coming. Thanks for the responses.
  6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

has been covered many of times as said but there's some good info in my sig for ya.

A Navigator and Lazer shouldn't even be compared because you can't cut as fast with a Navigator or Walkers as you can with a full sized Z. They aren't even designed for that . They are designed for well manicured lawns. There's a reason they don't have anti scalp wheels on them.

We have had many repeat sales on the Navigator which is a sure sign that Exmark did a good job with them.

In 3 years we have had not 1, that's right, not 1 deck or deck/blade drive related failure. It's truely amazing.

My best advice is put one of these and a walker next to each other and run them (of course they should both be in good condition).

To quote my signature.....if you want a machine with all the attachments, buy a walker. If you want a better machine, buy a Navigator.
  7. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The navigator is a better cutter,bagger because all the walker design flaws where improved by exmark.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The navigator was designed to fit the same profile as the Walker but they are very different machines. I have customers who are running both and they really like the Navigator.

I purchased a new Walker in 1974 for my lawn service and sold Walkers for several years after opening a store. We gave them up in 2006 and now just sell the eXmark.

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares really. Every string trimmer out there is a copy of the first one ever built. Every back pack blower out there is a copy of the first one ever built. Every Zero turn out there is a copy. Get my drift? Does it matter really?

Walker came up with the idea of an out front mower with a self contained bagging unit, all on a compact machine. They patented it and thus no one could build one like it. Now their patents ran out and they have competition. It happens with EVERYTHING. :dizzy: