1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark needs to add a Z-Stand to their accessories

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by South Florida Lawns, Nov 27, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I was wondering why eXmark doesn't't make a stand like Toro's z stand? You don't know how much time its saves when sharpening blades, and cleaning the deck. The other week I was mowing alongside another lco, and one of the guys hit a long rope in the grass, well it stopped him right in his tracks. Then they had to run all the way back to the truck to get a jack and blocks. This slowed them up by a lot, I know that some sort of jack on the front of the mower would have made this much easier.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, the added front weight, less frontal trimability take too much of the "benefit factor" away from this option.

I've always used my trailer gate to do things like this (similar to what your jeep is doing on that ramp in your avatar).
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You cannot get under the deck easily to change the blades or clean it.

4. Gumby

Gumby LawnSite Member

I didn't think alot about it when I bought my Z-master, but after 500 hours on the unit, I really have learned to like the z-stand that comes on it alot. I change the blades on it every day or two during the season and it sure beats dragging a floor jack and jack stands over to the mower. Granted, I could run it up on the trailer tailgate, but the tailgate would restrict some access to the side of the deck that it was on. It's also a good thing to have when (like someone above in the thread mentioned) when you find that hidden rope, wire, or as i discovered in tall grass once, the tomato cage.
    I would definitely encourage Exmark to include this on their Zeroturns. If I'm not mistaken, Exmark and Toro are part of the same corporation so it should be easier for them to make the addition. I've got a great Exmark dealer right on my Saturday route and would love to have an excuse to buy a new Zero turn from them.

ps: regarding the additional front weight, I've had the stand and the bracket off of the front and It is probably around 15lbs total
  5. John Gamba

from ct

With the jungle jack you can lift other mowers too. I have used it to pick up the back end of walk behinds to change tires and hydro filters.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

could buy a Z stand and put it on an exmark? I haven't looked to closely how the Z stand is attached, but I imagine you could make it fit.
  7. Gumby

Gumby LawnSite Member

Thanks John, I've seen them in different catalogs before and thought that if I did go with an Exmark or Hustler next time, that would be what I would get to make up for the lack of a z-stand. Do you just put it under the deck edge and allow the deck to move up and push against the frame of the mower? That's my biggest concern when I see photos of it in use.
    TC: The stand and bracket that the bottom (loose) end of the stand fastens up into could be bought easily at a Toro dealer, Its the Pivoting end that mounts into the tubular holder that would be the hard part. On the Z-master that I have it's a welded part of the frame, but If you have a knack for fabricating things from metal it could probably be duplicated. If you want me to I can try to take a few photos of the whole setup and e-mail them to you.
  8. John Gamba

from ct

9. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Why go all the way back to your truck? I just drive one side up something, like a curb or something like that, and have plenty of acces to the underside. Although it wouldn't hurt to have that for when there are no curbs or trailer doors to climb up on.
  10. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I think it would be a good addition to the EXMARK mowers . I ran toros before i switched to EXMARKS and the zstand was very handy . A lot of my mowing is in rural areas & it was easy to run into a nearby field &clean the deck. Since iwent to an enclosed trailer you cannot get on ramp far enough to hardly raise deck enough . The cable on door gets in the way. My vote is for a X-STAND!