Exmark oil filter...**&#@**!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Feb 16, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Well yesterday there were wrenches flying thru the air along with a long list of choice 4 letter words..I usually dont act that way...even my wife left the house...lol....why? Once again I was performing the most aggravating maintenance chore...changing the oil filter on that Exmark hp52. Now I know I'm the stupidcommercialmowerguy...but I've worked on outboard engines, MG's (now theres a headache), and other engine stuff...a wrenchead I'm not however.

Do any of you dread chaning this freakin filter?? You cant get hold of it since its BURIED under cowling and behind fluid lines...worst part, last time the dealer changed it and screwed it on too tight...nonetheless, this thing is a major pain.

Ok now that I;ve vented, anyone else have this problem?...and if so any tips/tricks to prevent wrench throwing the next time?

(its still a great mower...have to make sure I stay on Hoss's good side)

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the first time I changed mine...:D

It is a real pain to change!!!!!!!:( My big hands will just not work well in that little area...
    I use a screwdriver and hammer to get mine off. I drain oil, then cover the area with old rags, gently tap the screwdriver into the old filter and use the screwdriver to loosen the filter. It is always a mess. :angry:

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a metal oil filter wrench that fits on a 3/8's drive ratchet. Makes it very very simple to take off. I got it at autozone for about $4.

Drain the oil out of the crankcase first, then take the oil filter off. With the simple wrench I have it makes changing oil and filter simple.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

These manufacturers need to step up to the plate and change the location or provide a remote or some extra plumbing....something. I 'bout lose my salvation every time I change my oil in my Toro's.

5. Oil filter wrench $4, and no head aches..

A "suiside" is a dangerous way to change a filter, if you can't get it off, you can't use it.

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

A wrench might help in getting the filter off. But you still have the oil that comes out of the filter when you take it off. yuck:angry: :angry:

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I have only changed the oil in my HP once so far, but I don't remember it being all that difficult..... maybe 'cause I do almost all of my own work on all my vehicles (Truck, Boat, Mowers, etc..) so any filter I can touch and see at the same time, can't be that hard to get at
    D:
    I used the type of wrench previously described here that goes on a ratchet, and fits over the end of the filter.... worked alright... I put a rag under the filter, against the block, before I loosen the filter..... this lessens the "Spillage"

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

You must have the Kaw. engine. The filter on my Exmark Z is very easy to get to but I have the Kohler.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Gar

Maybe your mower is the wrong color of "red", hehe:D

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

His are the correct color, I think you have a wrong color paint. ;) :p