1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark oil

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by adam5557, May 14, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys today i went to pick up some oil for my exmark and i am new to the business so i asked what they normally run in exmarks and he gave me john deere 10w 30 oil .I only got 2 bottles but what do you guys think runs best.I have a 36in exmark 13hp kaw.thanks guys
  2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Where exactly are you putting this oil?
  3. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

I was planning on using it for my 36in exmark which has a 13hp kawasaki.thanks
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I started out with JD products and used their oil also. Now I have other brands of equipment but I still use the JD oil and it has served me well. It has a distinct smell to it which belongs to the Shell oil Company. The last case of JD oil I purchased was over $2.00 a quart. I may start going to the auto parts store and just by shell oil. Sorry for my ramblings but yes JD oil is ok to use. Was this oil for the engine or hydro?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 in all motors. 5.5 hondas, 12-23 kawis, little briggs, trucks, everything.
    The JD oil is very good oil also and probably very close to the same. Similar additive packages.
  6. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

I am using it for my engine. any other goood oils?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I always ran Pennzoil and never had any troubles.
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I run mobil 1 10w-30 and it makes my engines run a lot smoother than regular dino oil.

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Been using Mobile1 in everything since 1980 .. Not 1 problem
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

The only comment I have about this is that the manuals for a couple of my eXmark mowers (all Kawasaki engines) say that the engine will burn multi-viscosity oil faster than single-viscosity oil. None of the manuals I've read so far have called for or advised against synthetics.