1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbexmark, Jul 10, 2003.

1. jbexmark

jbexmark LawnSite Member
    from TN

I recently bought my first Exmark Lazer Z HP. It has 17hp kawasaki and 44" mowing deck. I have several hills that I am trying to mow. I have found that I have problems going across the hills. The mower will begin to go downhill and I can't get it to stay straight. I know that you have to let up on the the uphill side to go straight. The main thing is that I get different results going in different directions. If I mow so that the grass is discharging downhill then I have a lot of trouble. however, I can turn around and be on the same slope and be able to discharge uphill and the mower will stick to the hill like glue. What is happening?

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

have you made sure your tire pressures are equal in both drive tires? also, how sharp of an angle are we talking? bumpy? smooth? try easing off one of the controls a little so you maintain a straight line (gravity turning you down hill)
  3. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

when my ztr gets too unstable to go side to side, I go up, then back down then go up again. Don't drive straight down a steep hill. Of course, if you're like me some of my stretches are too long to mow up and down.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

They go straight up hills but dont do well at all going sideways!
  5. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine that is into lawncare recently rolled a Exmark 52 ZTR,said it was too steep of a hill and it slid to the bottom ,then it grabbed and rolled,It was his son that did this in which he got off before it rolled but it did bend up the steering bars.
    (Two weeks old)
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I hold my hp52 pretty well on side hills. Only have mine less than 2 years so I'm no pexpert like many other guys here. When it gets too steep and my knuckles get white, I go straight up and straight down. Never had a problem going down...but...I only go down a steep hill when its TOTALLY DRY and then I go pretty slow.At least in my short time with this machine, I've never seen it want to roll over on sidehills...instead, the back end will kick out and want to slide to the bottom. I still give that machine a LOT of respect since don't want to be laying under a thousand pounds.

And every time I've gotten in trouble with this machine it was because I was trying to save a few minutes of hand trimming...really stupid on my part....so I'm trying to break that bad habit.
  7. jbexmark

jbexmark LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thanks for all of the advice. I will check the tire pressure to make sure they are about the same on each side. I can see how that might affect it.

Thanks again.
  8. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

Most ZTRs are bad on hills especially if you try to go across the slope. I have had several Exmarks and have had some very scary slides because I got sideways. Usually I'll try to to go staright up, back down, move over and do it again sometimes if the hill is very srteep, I'll get hung up on the metal protecting the pulleys and clutch. I have also loaded my back wheels and that helps alot. What ever you do, if you start to slide backwards, DON'T PUT THE BRAKE ON. I also have a Kubota ZD-18 and it does alot better on hills than the Exmarks. With it, I can go up, down, diagonal
    Good luck
  9. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

How did you load your back wheels -- liquid in the tires, foam in the tires, weights in the wheels, or other?

10. mickpeg

mickpeg LawnSite Member

I used liquid and unfortunately I don't remember what it's called but it is some kind of combination of beet juice and something else so if you get a leak, it is not going to damage the lawn unlike chloride.