exmark one wheel stand on sulky

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DeVries, Mar 24, 2008.

1. DeVries

DeVries LawnSite Member

Wondering if anyone out there uses the one wheel stand on sulky for the exmark hydro walk behinds. Are they worth the money, do they get in the way, do they save time, and are they usable in eneven terrain?
    Any coments would be great

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use 1-wheelers on my Toros, for 6 years now I don't walk behind no mower.

Yes they are well worth it, they do get in the way some.
    Like when backing up it is a trick you have to do it like when backing a trailer, also never ever stand on the velke when backing.

I would say they save maybe a little time, but wear and tear they keep me a lot less tired, so they do increase efficiency.

Worst thing is the tires can go flat, also it needs to be greased daily and the bushings need replacing about once a year (two in the hitch, and two more at the end of the trailing arm). The upfront cost is a bit high but you get many years out of them at an annual maintenance cost of maybe 20-25 dollars + grease, or thereabouts.

They're usable in any terrain the mower can handle, you might have to step off going up or alongside steep hills due to balance issues.

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Yes we use them, work fine . Some guys are a little off balance when they first start out, feet are a bit close together. They still like them better than walkin' !

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on one wheeled compared to two wheeled sulkies. The advantages of the two wheeled sulkies over the one wheeled sulkies so far outweigh the one wheeled sulkies, that it is a wonder that anyone still uses the one wheeled.