1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Operator Controlled Discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cemeteryman, Jan 25, 2007.

1. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I mow a 10 acre cemetery, 5 acres at our Nature Center, and 6 miles of trails. I use exmark 27hp, 60" deck. There is a newer accessory for the exmark called an operator controlled discharge. This looks helpful for blocking off discharge when facing stones, then opening back up when not while mowing. I was wondering if anyone had used this accessory and what you thought of it, if it held up to abuse.
  2. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I haven't used it, but it will come in very handy. My only concern is the price. It is around $400.00 installed, why pay that when trimmertrap has a hand operated one for $185.00.
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

It is pricey, but I do like the idea of it being foot-operated. You don't have to take your hands off the controls.

Hopefully it's somewhat durable for that price...

Personally I think that I'd buy a trimmer trap or ez-chute, then buy a solenoid and make something up along the lines of that one you used to be able to buy but for a whole lot cheaper.
  4. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I went to the dealership yesterday and made them get one out for me and I was somewhat dissapointed. They only open up to a 90 degree angle instead of opening to 180 degrees. This means that I would be adding about 5" to the width of my mower when I need every inch I can shave off to get inbetween stones in my cemetery. So I am looking at several aftermarket models one is the gaurd dog , and the other is the ez chute. Has anyone used these, and do they work well or not.
  5. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

cementaryman- I have never heard of it from toro,exmark....ive heard of it from the z traks....ive heard of the new 2007 operator controlled discharge from toro... could you send me a pix of it on your mower?
  6. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

I saw a nifty foot operated power chute cover at the Expo last October. It is a bit pricey, but very cool. Click here to check them out.
  7. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

thats cool, ilike the hand controlled one better
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That powered unit is not pricey when Masterchute offered it for $400. I made my own before this company started and I can tell you it's a cheap price AND it's worth every penny. You just have to imagine the productivity available when it's installed. You don't have to stop or take your hands off the controls. You see something coming up, BAM! You close the chute without missing a beat. Think about it.
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Contact YORK SHEET METAL in York, PA. Do a Google search for them. They make the STRIPER for Exmark. They also make an OCDC. I have it on both of my Exmark Lazers. It is WELL MADE and opens up to different levels. Mine is either: CLOSED; open about 45 degrees; open 90 degrees; or open 180 degrees. It takes a little getting used to, as it is all in the flick of your wrist. In my opinion it is HEAD & SHOULDERS above the TrimmerTrap version. I seem to remember mine cost around $235. CALL THEM and see if they have one for your model (had one for my 60" & 48" Lazers). I had to keep on them because it was sometime after I sent my checks that I finally got the product.

10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the new Dixie Choppers I think that the OCDC comes standard with some of em. Mine has it, but it does add width at certain settings.