Exmark or Bobcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thomaslawn, Feb 6, 2008.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

We are looking at 50-52' mowers this year and a dealer gave me a price of $7399 for a 50' with a 23 hp Kaw. Does this seem like a good price?
    We have been utilizing a 52' Bobcat for the past 4 years and I'm afraid the engine ( 19 hp Intek) has seen it's prime. It has about 1200 hours on it which is about the life expectancy for this model of engine. We had a few costly problems with it last year and I believe now is the time to look at something new.
    We have narrowed it down to 2 mowers and dealers.
    The first mower is a Procat 48 or 52. Price for the 52 is 6500. The dealer takes great care of us, almost always turning our repairs around in 1-2 days, very little down time.
    The second mower is the one described above. we have purchased walk behinds from this dealer, but have never had to take them in on an "emergency" basis. Given their volume of business I'm guessing their turn around time is not as fast as my current dealer.
    My main question is: Is there that much of a difference between the Exmark and Bobcat mowers? We have a 36 metro and love it, but as far as riders we have never owned an Exmark.
    We are happy with the Bobcat and I believe that with a Kaw. engine it would be an excellent machine. I just want to ensure we are making the best possible long term decision for the money when comparing the options. Thank you for your thoughts.

2. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark dealer said the other day that exmark is putting the Lazer Z HP 52" with the 23 hp Kohler on promotion for $6999.00

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Go with what you know. Your Bob-Cat dealer is a known fact. Although the eXmark is a quality mower, the Bob-Cat is also and you already know what kind of service you can expect. Tony

4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I really like my bobcats, I tried a exmark and it seemed to have less leg room. Go with the one that gives you better service, I think that counts for more because there both good machines.

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

First what dealer are you using in town ? and have you demoed both ?..for a Z..I would go with Exmark around here..TONS of parts and shops that sell them and they do cut our grasses very nicely ..IMHO

6. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, what dealers are you looking at? Hilliard lawn and garden is good but if your going with exmark and your going to Hoffmans, id stay away.

7. thomaslawn

Thanks for the replys': Yes, I am talking about Hilliard Lawn and Garden, they are really great guys over there. For the exmark and other power tools I have worked with Voss Bros. in Powell.
    In the end I will probably go with the Bobcat, because as you stated SimonCX I believe service is going to be the determining factor, and I know that HL&G is top notch. I just wanted to hear from those who had experience utilizing both brands of mowers. Thanks again for the replys. Have a great day.

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there anyone that like Hoffman's?? I have heard some serious horror stories about them...I on occasion buy a part from them ...but even that is just due to their proximity to my house...

9. thomaslawn

I have heard some bad stories about them as well. I was speaking with another LCO in the area and he said to stay clear, he has had nothing but problems with them. The worst part about it is the LCO'S Dad was in the same Fraternity as the owner of Hoffman's and they still screwed him, badly.

10. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for them, that was my first job. Bad business ethics. My worst tick with them was they would take gas out of customers mowers to put in the new ones they put together because they were to cheap to go buy a couple of gallons of fuel. They also used customers mowers to cut thier own grass. They were "testing them" after they were fixed.....yea right. Ill drive 20 miles before i go there again. HL& G ....my personal favorite.